Part 103 build...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Arkan

So, I have been playing with a design for a experimental home built bush plan. And I am still designing it as I write this, but I do not have my pilots license yet, and I am working on and studying the ground school material. But I never trusted ultra lights, I seen one crash as a kid, and I guess it left a mark. Now that I am older, I find my self giving some thought to ultra light, part 103 craft. And I have come to the realization they could be a lot of fun.

So I was thinking on an air bike, anyone know if some good plans.

What safety features do any of you recommend?

Any advice on getting started?

Tiger Tim

What safety features do any of you recommend?
To me a proven design is important, full-aircraft parachute worth thinking about, but the best piece of safety equipment is the wisdom of the operator.

Any advice on getting started?
Have you taken any flying lessons? Start there because if you haven’t you may not even know what you like. Try to get up in a variety of things, travel to other schools for introductory flights in their equipment if you need to.

ElectricFlyer

HBA Supporter
But I never trusted ultra lights, I seen one crash as a kid, and I guess it left a mark.
How many car accidents have you seen, do you still get in a car? Far more people dying or injured in car accidents than aircraft per capita. I am far more worried about my drive to my flight training than the training itself.
As Tiger Tim says "wisdom of the operator". I would add that only learning/experience can enhance knowledge - which is the path to wisdom. I forget where I read that 🤣
Stick with it - leaving this world without regret is hard come by!
Cheers

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
For "conventional" shape and configuration UL aircraft, the AirBike is a good, proven, known design. The Kolb Firefly is a good, known, proven design. The MiniMax, Legal Eagle, and others are known good designs.

What materials do you prefer to work with? Starting with that info, the people on this forum can give you a tremendous amount of support and advice that will be worthwhile.

TFF

Legal Eagle XL would be my pick. The plane is great. Plans are adequate but not art. Essentially it’s an Airbike copy before you could get Airbike plans; they were only kits in the beginning. They both use MiniMax style wings as Airbike was originally part of the MiniMax company.
The LE is the closest to a regular airplane a UL could be.

Arkan

For "conventional" shape and configuration UL aircraft, the AirBike is a good, proven, known design. The Kolb Firefly is a good, known, proven design. The MiniMax, Legal Eagle, and others are known good designs.

What materials do you prefer to work with? Starting with that info, the people on this forum can give you a tremendous amount of support and advice that will be worthwhile.
Well, I was thinking wooden ribs in the wing, don't know what kind of covering would be best, the main fuselage I was thinking chrome moly. And I have no clue on power plant. I would love to find a decent plan to work from to get started.