Quantcast

Parson Mini-Cub

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

billyvray

A while back a photo of a single seat cub was posted. It was a good-looking, very scale, J3 Cub replica with a single seat and a VW engine.
I spent a while trying to find the thread but could not.

So, to answer the question many had of "what is that?", here you go:

Parson Mini-Cub. 80% scale built from Cub plans. Won't fit big guys most likely.
parson minicub 1.jpg parson minicub 2.jpg parson minicub 3.jpg parson minicub 4.jpg

It is for sale on Barnstormers: https://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1318624_Parson's+Mini-Cub,+VW+60HP.html

And a video:

Enjoy,
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
That was me that posted it. Thanks for the photos/video. I really like that!
I'd like to do the same thing but with a Tailwind.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Scrapper, build a Zippy Sport....Its 'Kinda' like a single seat Tailwind, does 100 mph on 30 h.p.........
Those are good numbers, I seem to be having a hard time moving the ball forward on my Cassutt. The next plane might be a looooong ways out. Haha.

The cub in those photos has great proportions. Really sharp.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I always liked the Zippy Sport. Also like the name.
Would a 1/2 VW be to heavy at 87 lbs ?

Raceair

A Zippy would not fly well with a half VW, because it is 'too' light.....The nose would get so long that it would become neutrally stable to divergent in Yaw. A great combo for the Zippy is a 1200 to 1600 VW, Rear drive style. I built one up for my second Zippy, and left the cylinders/ heads stick out in the breeze. It still cruised above 90 with that cowl drag. At least four Zippies have been built with VW power.......

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
A Zippy would not fly well with a half VW, because it is 'too' light.....The nose would get so long that it would become neutrally stable to divergent in Yaw. A great combo for the Zippy is a 1200 to 1600 VW, Rear drive style. I built one up for my second Zippy, and left the cylinders/ heads stick out in the breeze. It still cruised above 90 with that cowl drag. At least four Zippies have been built with VW power.......
Now you are getting my attention. I happen to have a 1200 cc , 40 hp VW and a 1300 cc, 50 HP VW. Also have been building a 2180 rear drive that I need to get back on . What size VW engines are on the four that are powered with the 4 cylinder engine ?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Ed, do you think the Zippy Sport would be a good match for Pete's O-100 engine? 58HP direct drive, 105-108 pounds, good torque at lower RPM. Hearing your opinion on it is too good an opportunity to pass up :)

Bill-Higdon

Any drawings or pictures of your rear drive engine mount?

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Found this over on the ETLB forum. Himax with 4A084. Obviously not a scale cub, but a reasonable stand in.img_1504_copy_4765.jpg