park a truck camper near Oakland CA

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

harrisonaero

Don't know much about CA but we may be going down there on and off for the next 8-months for my son's rowing training. Trying to get to the Olympics in Tokyo next summer.

Anyone know where to sleep in a truck camper at night there? All self-contained. One of you have a parking place we could rent or know of someone that does? Other ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aside from campgrounds, most Wal-Marts allow overnight parking for campers, as do Home Depot and Cracker Barrel. Some don't, due to local ordinances, ask the store manager if you don't already see a bunch of campers and/or 18 wheelers parked there.

If you're talking about leaving it for extended periods while you're gone, that's a different matter, but many campgrounds offer cheap storage if you're not sleeping in it.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Oakland is also a problem by itself. Not exactly the safest place you could choose. An Idaho license plate may make things slightly worse unfortunately... at this particular moment in our nation's history. I would strongly suggest finding someone on this forum or another aviation group who has space. Absent that, find the nearest small GA airport, contact the manager, an see if you can make some arrangements.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Major 24hr car/truck stops on freeways are ok for overnight only. Just pull in back.
Small town gas stations not so good unless 24hr. Try buying gas and ask (or not).

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Good time in history to stay close to home. Toto-- We are not in Kansas anymore.

pwood66889

"...find the nearest small GA airport, contact the manager, and see if you can make some arrangements."
VB has good advice, Joa.
Georgia and I spent many a delightful evening parked a the local flying field. There is not much there that can be turned into ready cash, so no interest on the part of the Thuggie-Druggie set. But as stated, "That was then..."
You may need a more expensive set up if you plan on leaving it for a while. Rent a hangar out of the area? Heard from Maynard lately??

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
I have lived and worked in Oakland for many years. In the last 5 years there has been an EXPLOSION of homelessness, and used RVs are one of the housing solutions people have chosen. And the area around the estuary is one of the places where they congregate.

The good is that you could park on the street and most people would not look askance. The cops will roust you when they get around to it, but just keep moving.

The bad is your little home could be surrounded by squalor (the homeless are just as aquistitive as the rest of us, and less organized) and a class of neighbors you might not care to know, although I do not want to demonize the homeless. Many of us wage slaves are 3 paychecks from homeless ourselves, and that's a common story in the present times, but others live on the street because their demons and addictions keep them from living anywhere else.

My suggestion is to advertise in Craigslist for a driveway to park in. Oakland, Alameda, and the surrounding cities are old fashioned inner ring suburbs, and you could possibly find a driveway or a backyard to park in.

There is ONE RV park in San Francisco near the train station that is full constantly. There is an East Bay Regional Parks District campground (Chabot) that is semi-close, and has hookups, but you're limited on how long you can stay. You could try parking overnight in either some of the outlying lots near the Oakland Airport, or there is a business park on Harbor Bay Island with parking lots. You could try the OTHER end of Alameda, at the old Naval Air Station, which is VERY SLOWLY being redeveloped.

The nearest true GA airport ("North Field" at Oakland, the commercial airport until the late 1960's, is GA, but it's still within the "fence line" of a major international airport) is Hayward, and it's a good 15 miles down the freeway.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I don't know anything about your son's training requirements, but I'd sure exhaust all other options before traveling to Oakland for this. Or for anything else . . .

Last edited:

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
A lot of hotels allow long term parking for a nominal fee and they do a reasonable job of keeping your vehicle secure.
An idea worth pursuing, and there is a line of hotels along the Embarcadero, as well as others by Oakland Airport. But then there is this...

A friend of mine rode his Harley from Virginia Beach to Oakland 'cause he's a hard case, and he was going to be in Oakland for a month, so....he's resting up from a hard day of trying to teach Bangladeshi's how to run a Used But Good ship we were transferring to them, when he hears a motorcycle start up outside his 2nd floor window at one of the aforementioned hotels along the Embarcadero. "Hmm, that sounds like a Harley." He looks out the window just in time to see HIS Harley pull out of the parking lot and head for the freeway onramp.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Do they have KOA campgrounds anywhere near Oakland? That would be a close second to the previous suggestions. I had been under the impression that KOA is nationwide.

Another idea is if by any chance you are a member of a church that is part of a national chain or denomination, you can contact the local branch of that church, and tell them "I'm a member of one of your sister organizations up in Idaho, and I've been warned that Oakland may not be the friendliest place in the country these days, and is there any way you have a secure lot or space behind the church I can park for a few days?"

There is an EAA chapter on Concord, CA, which is maybe a 20-30 minute drive from Oakland. I'm guessing that you could call that chapter, and tell them what you are looking for, and somebody will be able to help out a fellow EAA type of guy. If they give you any himming and hawing, you can tell them that if they help you find a place to stay, you will give them the inside secret scoop on the Ski-Gull that nobody else knows. :)

Last edited:

harrisonaero

Thanks for all of the advice, that's what we're after. Trying to hit all the options right now.

I certainly hear what you're saying. In my research I ran across this article from the City. For fun google map these Safe RV Parking sites ($600k each to operate) and then use street view to see their wonderful accommodations. Wow. Don't see a lot of this in Idaho <yet>.

Good point on the churches. We've started that research. And my niece that works at the Air Force base as a nurse down there said that there are some local churches that allow RVs in their parking lots and even have security. We'll check them out as well.

And good tip on the airport, can check that out. My son is homeschooled and will study from the camper but will still have some free time and is a really hard worker and knows aircraft parts and manufacturing pretty well so we might be able to work out a trade there.

If we could row anywhere else and still get the quality of competitors to train with [US National Team] then we would, trust me.

Thanks again, appreciate the ideas.

(Burt has a new flying water toy which is a lot more fun that grinding carbon so he's finally enjoying his retirement... still has the bug to finish SkiGull though)

harrisonaero

Dawned on me that I never followed up on this one... in a nutshell...had a great trip to Oakland. For sure an eye opener (lots of drug deals and wacky folks down by where we were training on the estuary). Took some "google shortcuts" that were pretty scary but made it through OK. Isaiah had some fantastic training though and came away more fired up than ever to be an Olympian.

We were blessed to be able to get to know Bob Simmons and he has a great thing going down there. The real deal for sure. Check out his crazy version of fun Home | Stolcross Thanks Bob for all the hospitality!

So.... the latest is that in June Isaiah won the US national championship and also won Trials to make the US National Team. So we're leaving for Plovdiv, Bulgaria in a couple days to see if we can win some gold for the US. Wish us luck :) And if you would like to help Isaiah with some tax deductible giving this year please consider helping his fundraising. Unfortunately the US doesn't support junior rowers with expenses so they have to fundraise on their own.

We'll let you know how it all goes :)

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
I’m glad you did OK there, I know it’s too late for you to find any use in this but perhaps someone else reading this would realize some benefit.
I suggest asking the venue to what you were going to be going if the have any overnight parking available .

Dillpickle

Oakland is also a problem by itself. Not exactly the safest place you could choose. An Idaho license plate may make things slightly worse unfortunately... at this particular moment in our nation's history. I would strongly suggest finding someone on this forum or another aviation group who has space. Absent that, find the nearest small GA airport, contact the manager, an see if you can make some arrangements.
Kinda funny, but often, when younger, I would drive till exhausted, find a small airport, find the key code, and drive in to sleep a few hours. No one ever bothered me, and that chain link fence and lock kept the rifraff out. Benefits were pilot lounges with a coffeepot, shower, and bathroom. Later cross countries by air had me sleeping on the floor of many a lounge.