• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Panel Titling: Bus-Tie or Electric Cross-Feed? Position of Warning Lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the AeroElectric Connection, a connection between two buses is called Cross-Feed, and in my panel design I called the switch Electric Cross-Feed. In sharing my design with a peer group, an ex F-14 pilot thought that switch was engaging a fuel cross feed. Upon discussion, I found that he was accustomed to calling the bus connection a Bus-Tie.

Hmm, I am building this airplane for me, and I am not possessed of the tactical jet and airliner experiences and prejudices in titling. In our little airplanes, what is the common experience on what to call our connection between buses for starting and for emergency management? Bus-Tie or Elect Cross-Feed?

Next, in addition to the Dynon displaying my capacitive fuel sensors (primary) and running a fuel totalizer (secondary) and giving audio warnings, I have decided to add a IR fuel level switches that turn on dedicated warning lights (tertiary) when they are uncovered. They are:
One per wing (done with this tank); One when the header goes below full (switch tanks or find an airport); Red when the header is about to go dry (commence forced landing checklist). These are all labeled. Where to put this set of warning lights? It was convenient to stick them in a line just below the pilot side Dynon display, but again the experienced folks in the room suggested having this last resort set of fuel warnings at the top of the panel might make a lot more sense...Space is at a premium up there, but I do have space high and to the right of the pilot's Dynon display. So where would you stick the last ditch fuel warnings?

So, what say you folks?

Billski

Last edited:
Back