Painting with latex house paint

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Geraldc

Years ago a homebuilder here used plywood from tea chests.

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
The Gazelle helicopter had a list of Renault and Citroen car parts in the manual so that mechanics could fix them in the field with locally available parts; the door handle on the cabin door is a car part.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Want to replace your inside door handles of your straight tail C-172 ? Look for Chevy truck door handles in 1955 and 1956. Want to replace your Piper Cherokee inside door handles ? Look for VW bug inside door handles.

challenger_II

I have seen it. Changed it out, immediately! :)
A LOT of the Hardware Store hardware issues come from folks using el-cheapo
hardware during the build, and then forgetting to change to AN hardware upon final
assembly. And, then, there are the "back woods" type that do it intentionally.

Me? AN hardware is cheap, compared to my expensive, tender butt... :)

Has anyone ever seen a Home Depot bolt on an airplane ? Or is it just an old wife's tale ?

challenger_II

Marble dust? Is that a product name, or an actual substance?

I would also add, that for a slightly firmer and less spongy surface, you can use the Stewart systems primer. It’s not expensive. I have also considered experimenting with adding marble dust to the second coat of gripper to firm it up just a bit.

Daleandee

I have seen some strange homebuilt airplane fixes. Big hardware store turnbuckle used as an adjustable bracket in the engine compartment. Telephone wire. Trailer tail light wire for strobes.
We currently have a fella at the airport that has one of these in his plane:

1632958677088.png

But it's OK as he also used the Romex 12-3 along with it ...

rv7charlie

ToddK,
Are you thinking about doing that for the aluminum & steel parts? Anything that makes the paint more rigid on the fabric would be counterproductive, it seems to me.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
ToddK,
Are you thinking about doing that for the aluminum & steel parts? Anything that makes the paint more rigid on the fabric would be counterproductive, it seems to me.
Just for the fabric. There is an ideal bit of firmness that the fabric ought to have. Strait gripper and latex in my opinion is just a bit shy of that, leaving it a little spongy feeling. As I wrote above the Stewart primer seems to take care of that, and white it’s not expensive, if I can firm up the gripper a tiny bit while still keeping its flexibility, then I have cheap winner.