• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Painting technique

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battson

Hey all,

So I am looking for some after-the-fact advice on painting technique, I've had a problem with painting yellow. Polytone paint by Polyfibre. The problem is, the colour of finish I get changed depending on the aspect I'm painting. Let me explain:

I start with an even white basecoat under the yellow.
Then spray yellow over the top, number of coats depending on the angle. If it's a part I can lay flat, then it may only take 3 coats to get a good even finish. If it's vertical or a complex shape, I need to use more coats as I can't lay the paint down very glossy or I risk getting a run. I try to match the thickness of paint as best I can, not always possible.
Fabric and metal need different practices and 2 or 3 coats on fabric accepts/absorbs a lot more paint without running than 3 coats over metal.

Problems:
When I see the plane in bright daylight, it all looks even and the same colour. In the lights of the hanger / garage, different parts and panels are clearly different shades/tones of yellow. I am not talking about gloss or shine, the actual colour richnessor brightness is different. I think it's the thickness of paint that does it.

Because the fabric accepts more paint to more quickly, its colour is markedly different in different low-light conditions to fibreglass or aluminium parts when needed more coats of paint - although the net thickness of paint may be the same. Under bright daylight it's harder to notice.

I have noticed if the thickness/richness of white undercoat is different, that shows through no matter how much yellow is painted.

Can anyone with lots of experience shed some light on possible problems with my technique or approach which could have caused this phenomina? Or is this a fact of life with DIY painting?
Even better would be suggestions to reduce the problem, but I am pretty sure it's too late for that now.

Back