painting dacron

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by mcurcio1989, Mar 16, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 15, 2015 #81

StarJar

StarJar

StarJar

Wow that looks totally awesome, not to mention it's latex. Thanks for the update. (Can you tell I have a paint job coming up?)

I had another idea today about water base polyurethane spar varnish. I used it on a kayak once, and it's really simple stuff. It was recommended in the kayak plans for an extra shiny finish and UV protection. I really couldn't imagine it cracking, or not adhering to the latex. It is smeared on with a paper towel, in a few very thin coats. Anybody else have experience with this stuff, or know about it's capabilities?

2. Apr 16, 2015 #82

mcurcio1989

mcurcio1989

mcurcio1989

^ very interesting on the spar varnish as I recall somewhere else people discussing using that. After my experience here I have concluded that the best way to determine this stuff is to stop researching and start experimenting.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I spent a while drawing this out and it just kind of came to me while I was playing around with different designs. Its great to see it in real life now. The elevator will build on this and the white stripes look like a sort of graphic chevron you'll see once the elevator is done. The wings are the same basic design but the have an additional graphic. It is not a traditional airplane look and I don't want it to be. I'm taking some graphics from boats I like and applying the feel to this (after all it is a flying boat).

3. Nov 11, 2015 #83

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

How has the cover job gone?