• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

painting dacron

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcurcio1989

The aircraft I am building uses pre-sewn dacron socks which typically just have clear coat applied over them. The color scheme I had in mind did not lend itself well to a solid color or the patterns they had so I got solid white and I'm going to apply color before the clear. I want to keep weight and cost down (who doesn't). I've seen people talking about using various poly fiber products as base coats and this seems like it is going to add a lot of weight and cost.

My confusion really stems from the fact that it seems like most ultralight style aircraft I have seen are just bare fabric with clear coat yet when i read up on poly fiber it makes it sounds very necessary to use there multi step method

I am going to have a three tone paint scheme so my background with automotive says primer, top coats, and then clear coat

However poly fiber says poly brush, poly spray, and top coat (no clear?)

Is the main advantage of poly fiber the UV protection that it offers? Can clear be applied over it?

Back