painting a varieze other than white

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by 80RL, Feb 17, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1

80RL

80RL

80RL

Hi, has anybody painted a varieze, or does anybody own one that is not painted white. I have been told light colors only because of the heat absorption can cause problems.

2. Feb 17, 2010 #2

lr27

lr27

lr27

If you use WEST epoxy or similar, this is definitely a problem. There are other epoxies which will hold up to a higher temperature, particularly after post curing. I think that the typical glass transition temperature for this general sort of epoxy is around 140 or 150 F. Probably worth finding out exactly what epoxy was used.

Extruded styrofoam might have some temperature issues too. Isn't that what the Varieze uses? Just looked at a spec for one of the Dow extruded styrofoam products, and it lists a maximum use temperature of 165F.

I suppose if you live in Denmark or something and never fly south, you could be ok.

3. Feb 17, 2010 #3

Waiter

Waiter

Waiter

Check this link, scroll down to the June 9 entry.

I FLY EZ

Waiter

4. Feb 17, 2010 #4

lr27

lr27

lr27

Interesting data. Your OAT was pretty low. I imagine on a 100 degree day, there could be a real problem on the gray surfaces. Definitely shows us why people use white paint, particularly in Arizona.

Some of your nighttime measurements seem to indicate the error is small, but when I was helping a guy study temperatures in electronics with an IR thermometer, he said you really needed to calibrate for the properties of the particular sort of surface you were dealing with, as they don't all radiate the same. I'll admit I don't know a lot about it.

5. Feb 18, 2010 #5

Inverted Vantage

Inverted Vantage

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target

So the issue with white paint vs. heat isn't so much because of the weakening of the epoxy, but the weakening of the foam? That would make sense, as I've looked at the thermal limits of some epoxy; it's at like 200+ degrees F if I remember correctly (I thought it was West Systems actually, apparently not).

6. Feb 18, 2010 #6

lr27

lr27

lr27

It all depends on the epoxy, but if it's WEST epoxy, you should worry about it before you worry about the foam:
    WEST SYSTEM | Epoxy Resins and Hardeners - Physical Properties

Most room temparture cure epoxies I've heard of won't be good at anywhere near 200F.

Post curing helps some, but I don't think it usually gets that high.

However, there ARE some epoxies with much better high temp properties.

7. Mar 18, 2010 #7

mercator

mercator

mercator

80Rl,

I have a background in architecture and construction management. In high rise construction the rate of thermal expansion of aluminum curtainwall components is critical. From memory, painted alum. will heat up 140- 175 degrees depending on the darkeness of the color.

As others have noted the temp. that some epoxies soften and deform (TG temp) is often as low as 120 degrees. I build vacuum infused canoes and ruined a female mold by heating it up to 145 degrees F. to aide in cure. A Lesson learned the hard way for sure.

Good Luck.

A

8. Mar 19, 2010 #8

Bigorneau

Bigorneau

Bigorneau

it depend of epoxy nature and also in which country you are flying:)
    see photos of my varieze in france in 1995 after 300 hours flying .
    no problem with these colours

Attached Files:

• 53.jpg
      53.jpg
      File size:
      61.7 KB
      Views: