P51B blueprint....

Discussion in 'Warbirds / Warbird Replicas' started by gabriel7384, Jan 6, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1

gabriel7384

gabriel7384

gabriel7384

2. Jan 6, 2006 #2

Othman

Othman

Othman

Falconar Avia sells plans for a 2/3 scale Mustang. I know the plans for that aircraft are some of the best I've seen for homebuilts.

Visit www.falconaravia.com go to the aircraft section and you will find the mustang there.

It's constructed from wood and fiberglass, rather than metal as shown in the picture you posted.

I should start asking Mr. Falconar for commission :p:

3. Jan 7, 2006 #3

gabriel7384

gabriel7384

gabriel7384

The SAL is very nice...very close to the original but I have a deep interest into a metal replica. The Jurca have a steel fuselage but wooden wing. Thus far, the australian replica is the only 100%-alu I have seen (except the S-51 of course).

Would it be possible to convert a Falconar into a metal aircraft ? The question is open...

4. Jan 8, 2006 #4

Othman

Othman

Othman

The plans for the wood aircraft, or the wood wings, could be used to engineer a metal structure. The plans would be used to determine the overal shape/geometry of the aircraft, the layout of all the systems and can be used as a guide for the new structure layout. The structure would be completely new, and would require a stress analysis and possibly proof test.

The weight of the new structure would have to be at least equal to the original in order to realize the same performance.

There may be some other factors that I can't think of at the moment. It is a big change, but I believe it is doable.

5. Jan 8, 2006 #5

gabriel7384

gabriel7384

gabriel7384

The re-engineering of the aircraft is probably a big challenge and keeping the weight & balance would be at least be difficult I think.

It is probably stupid from myself to want a metal aircraft since lot of homebuilders have very nice & sturdy wood aircraft but I would have the problem of finding aircraft quality spruce in Belgium.

Another problem would be the engine since I MUST use a certified engine...

6. Jan 8, 2006 #6

gabriel7384

gabriel7384

gabriel7384

about the engine, I was wrong. The engine doesn't need to be certified but must be under 3.5 Liter of displacement. Sorry for the misinformation. I apologize.

For the engine, I think to these two engines, upgraded to obtain better performance :

Ford 3.0 Duratec V6, 100% alu, 24 valves, 166kw (226ch), 285Nm at 4900 rpm.

Ford 2.5 Duratec ST Euro IV 5 cylinder in line, 100% alu, 20 valves, 166kw (225ch), 320Nm at 2000rpm.

I think the V6 would have a better look. Ideas anyone ?
    On the other hand, the 2.5 have been upgraded to 500ch by some folks in Belgium :)confused: )

7. Jan 8, 2006 #7

pylon500

pylon500

pylon500

The Metal mustang in your post is actually an ultralight in Australian regs, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it for a couple of years now.
    It may well have been finished, but nothing has ever shown in the local magazines.
    Was supposed to be powered by a Rotax 503, nut it looked like it may have ended up a bit heavier than originally anticipated?
    I've mentioned elsewhere about automotive engines for scale fighters of the lighter size, I'm still interested in the 3.0litre Alfa Romeo V-6.
    This is a 60 degree V, which makes it nice and compact, also if you can find an Alfa 90, these were not overly popular, and mostly being automatic, the motors should not have been abused too badly.
    Just some thoughts.....
    Arthur.

pwood66889 likes this.
  8. Jan 8, 2006 #8

gabriel7384

gabriel7384

gabriel7384

For sure, Alfa have some great engines...including this one :
    3.2 V6 24v
    3.179 cm3
    Puissance maxi : 240/250 ch
    (176/184 kW) at 6200 rpm
    289/300 Nm at 4800 rpm...let's rock !

9. Nov 1, 2006 #9

mickieb49

mickieb49

mickieb49

Hi I'm new on this forum but have been working on a set of plans for a 3/4 scale P-51D for a while now. I am intending on using a reinforced 4130 fuse (2024 t3 0.025") skin and what i am currently designing is a full set of Alloy Wings and Tailplane, this designs are to be based off the original P-51. As some are aware to do this is no easy feat! But i am intending to have plans ready within the next couple of months, then obviously my own project will come.
    Hopefully this may help fill in that void where the S51 has left as i am hoping to use a LS7 corvette engine with a 2.8:1 reduction gearbox.
    Preliminary calculations allow the use of engines up to 700Hp! ???? As for that i will know more once i have finished the drawings on the Wings and Tailplane, stall speeds will be around the 75MPH mark with cruise 250MPH mark and expected max VNE 290MPH??? this will tell more once first prototype is made and tested. I am planning on using a Cesna 310 undercarriage and cropduster type tail gear.
    If anyone has had much experience with this whole idea i would like to hear from their experiences.
    But to all who are interested, i will hopefully be able to supply a full set of plans in the near future.
    Regards Mick

10. Nov 14, 2006 #10

pylon500

pylon500

pylon500

Wow, where does the time go?! :confused:
    The 'Ultralight' Mustang I mentioned earlier, came up for sale, (and was sold I assume?) in our National Ultralight Magazine about mid year.
    I was interested, but couldn't afford another aircraft.
    I did get a heap of photos of the construction and finish.
    Will have to do two posts as I still don't know how to add multiple images without going to another site.
    :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

11. Nov 14, 2006 #11

pylon500

pylon500

pylon500

There are some interesting concepts in the structure of the Mustang as can be seen in the shot below........

Attached Files:

12. Nov 14, 2006 #12

pylon500

pylon500

pylon500

There was another Mustang project for sale recently.....
    Arthur.

Attached Files:

13. Nov 14, 2006 #13

mickieb49

mickieb49

mickieb49

Where is this company being sold arthur? in Australia?
    and is this a recent ad?
    I know it is not something to be taken lightly?
    Mick

14. Nov 15, 2006 #14

pylon500

pylon500

pylon500

The wood/composite Mustang was advertised in Aviation Trader back around June I think.
    Saw the add for two months.
    It was another I was interested in after looking into becoming the Titan T-51 agent for Australia.
    But it was a deal I couldn't pull off myself and although my Boss was willing to get involved, I couldn't interest the other directors.
    That was when I decided to go alone and build my little composite Racer/Sportplane.
    Once this is done I'm still thinking about my 3/4 Hurricane with the Alfa V-6.
    Arthur.

15. Aug 7, 2008 #15

billyboy

billyboy

billyboy

Gabriel7384,
    are you still in the process of that P51 ? I personally lost hope for a similar project, the S-51, the restrictions in Belgium, etc ...

16. Aug 11, 2008 #16

mickieb49

mickieb49

mickieb49

Yes Billy, am still struggling away with the project, managed to get hold of a original P-51D SRM from COL PAYE before he passed away over here in australia, this has been a huge help as most of the work is done for me. Still there is a mountain of work yet to be done before any actual construction can be done.
    Am currently working on the CAD plans for the rib formers, this will enable me to use a CNC router to cut all the wood out and also use the CAD files to Waterjet cut all the materials needed for the ribs, this all takes time.
    Also like the original, i am intending on using a FWD spar and Aft spar and Stringers combined to take all the stresses. Most ribs are 0.032" skins range from 0.025" thru to 0.080" around the landing gear. Spars are to be a assortment of 0.125" thick T sections sandwiched around 0.125" webs.
    Hoping to have some sort of activity on the construction up and comming soon?????
    Thanks for the interest, had i known the hassles and headaches such a project as thios will cause then i think i would have gone with a kit.....but where would the fun be???:ban::ban:
    any input is very much appreciated
    Mick