p-51 3/4 scale replica

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

zaiyoohoo

hello guys.im a new member in this website.and this is my 1st project.hoping u guys would help me with reliable info.
as for now,im looking for a semimonocoque fuselage design for p-51.aluminium.P-51D_112_SHEET3 (1).jpg these shape ok?just got it from the net.thanx

zai

Tom Kay

Zai;

Very difficult to confirm. To answer that, these shapes would be be cut out and lined up like fuselage frames to see if they make the correct shape. Did you get these from a model kit?

Tom.

jac

Zai,

They 'look' very close, I will enlarge them and check against my own scratchbuilt for interest sake, begs the question though....do you have the other 111 drawings?

Hi Tom, you have been quiet lately on the mustang front, obviously still on the case!

Jac

Tom Kay

Hi Jac;

It's the process of growing up. I have the same dreams as many, but without the resources, so no Mustang or Spitfire. I can live with that.

I am happy to say though, that the Merlin Engine dream has not entirely died. Although I'll never own an airworthy Merlin, or likely even get one ground-running, I am gathering together the parts to at least assemble a static display engine. This will keep me busy for years, and my wife understands that I have been saying the word "Merlin" longer than "Nicole." It will be a long, slow moving project with no deadline.

Here's my link to Merlin pictures, and my collection of parts is in one of the albums. The super charger isn't shown, but I do have one. A two-stage beast. https://www.flickr.com/photos/130143587@N02/sets/

But to get back to the Mustang thing, it would have been great to build a replica, but it's very unlikley without tripping on a large, random bag of money. So for those who feel they can give it a try, go for it !

Cheers, Tom.

jac

Yes , the bumps and hollows of life change our plans constantly, I will be happy to get the motor & firewall forward area done and running as a test stand, anything further is a bonus, After trying for years trying to satisfy my 'Ford' background with an alloy V8 I looked a bit outside the square and bought an M70 BMW V12, looks right, weighs right, and hopefully will sound right....time will tell.

TXFlyGuy

Hi Jac;

It's the process of growing up. I have the same dreams as many, but without the resources, so no Mustang or Spitfire. I can live with that.

I am happy to say though, that the Merlin Engine dream has not entirely died. Although I'll never own an airworthy Merlin, or likely even get one ground-running, I am gathering together the parts to at least assemble a static display engine. This will keep me busy for years, and my wife understands that I have been saying the word "Merlin" longer than "Nicole." It will be a long, slow moving project with no deadline.

Here's my link to Merlin pictures, and my collection of parts is in one of the albums. The super charger isn't shown, but I do have one. A two-stage beast. https://www.flickr.com/photos/130143587@N02/sets/

But to get back to the Mustang thing, it would have been great to build a replica, but it's very unlikley without tripping on a large, random bag of money. So for those who feel they can give it a try, go for it !

Cheers, Tom.
Here is a V12 that will fit in a 3/4 scale Mustang. Sounds real good, just like a Merlin should!

OlesonMD has shared a video with you on YouTube

Tom Kay

Yes, I'd be very curious what engine that is as well. It doesn't appear to be the Suzuki or Honda that Titan offers, so what is it?

Tom.

jac

I have some photos from another forum of this engine at Oshkosh a few years ago. The video looks like it has a Titan 3 gear Gearbox presumably to keep prop rotation, model HV6 ?? [ 2.00> ] cnc milled into front of g/box case and there appears to be another BMW M70 on the floor about 10 ft away from the prop hub @~15 secs >>. Can post the other pics if that's allowable, they are not mine though. Thanks for sharing the video, Ive searched hi n lo for further info on this engine / plane.

Tom Kay

Hi Jac;

I would be quite interested in seeing some pics of the V-12 engine. Can you give us the link to the website?

I especially like the touch of adding the Rolls-Royce stickers to the cam covers.

Thanks, Tom.

jac

Tom, link to pics Re: M70/M73 as airplane engine??

Interesting that the A/C in question appears to be modelled on the early mustang with spitfire type canopy .

Henryk.. The FK lightplanes with on board V12 sound projection doesn't do it for me!! I cannot help thinking the motor might actually stop while the sound plays on all the way to the crash!:)

Sorry about bold txt, been trying to deal with problems typing in messages on this forum, thought it might help, didnt!

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Henryk.. The FK lightplanes with on board V12 sound projection doesn't do it for me!! I cannot help thinking the motor might actually stop while the sound plays on all the way to the crash!:)
I didn't look at henryk's link, but if it's anything like similar products sold for cars, the fake engine noise picks up the ignition signal to vary the simulated rpm as appropriate, so if the real engine gets quiet, the simulation should, too.

A friend bought one of those gadgets for his car. It plugged into the cigarette lighter and transmitted the sound via FM to the car radio. Pretty silly, making a tiny Smartcar sound like a Mack truck or a Ferarri.

Dana

Tom Kay

OK, I've seen the pictures, thanks for the link. Pretty neat, and I like the idea of throwing any (reasonable) V-12 into a Mustang or Spit replica. So much better than a V-6 or 8, at least in the bragging rights department.

That's John what's-his-face from Titan having a look, so he's either seeing a one-off, or potentially interested in this work as a Titan engine choice. I suspect the first guess is more likely. Is that an Autoflight gearbox?

I think the canopy is an early "Malcolm" hood that the P-51 B's or C's had.

Anyone know if this machine is flying yet?

Tom.

revkev6

the irony of putting a BMW V12 in a mustang or spit just kills me! lol

although, thinking about it I guess it's only fair since BF109's were produced with rolls royce motors from the factory.....

rv6ejguy

The V12 T51 should be flown to Sun 'n Fun this year. Autoflight gearbox. There may be future developments for the V12 option.

Last edited:

jac

the irony of putting a BMW V12 in a mustang or spit just kills me! lol

although, thinking about it I guess it's only fair since BF109's were produced with rolls royce motors from the factory.....
BMW bought Rolls Royce in 2002 so there would be some merit in the RR stickers, some of the replacement wooden prop blades for genuine Spitfires are now made in Germany. Guess that wont make you feel any better.:)...Some very brief posts about possible flying appearance @ Sun n Fun suggests others know a lot more about this project.??