P-38 Lightning

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Lucrum

Log Member
One of my first daydream homebuilt ideas as a kid in the early 70's was a scale P-38 powered by a pair volkswagen engines

pictsidhe

Nice job. Found a thread in another forum. It's actually a two-seater! I'll be very pleased if I can make my Hurricane look half that realistic.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Nice job. Found a thread in another forum. It's actually a two-seater! I'll be very pleased if I can make my Hurricane look half that realistic.
IIRC, it is an actual scaled down P-38, i.e., all the structure parts are per the original design, just scaled down.

BJC

pictsidhe

IIRC, it is an actual scaled down P-38, i.e., all the structure parts are per the original design, just scaled down.

BJC
Ooh, that's mighty complex. I will be scaling down some Hurricane assemblies, but no way am I doing everything. Way too tedious. Scale looking is enough of a challenge. Could be done as an E-AB, but an awful lot of work.
A Hurricane took 10,000 hours to build. A P-38 must be in the same ballpark.

TXFlyGuy

Not sure what to make of this, but the P-38 went out of license this last May. The owner/pilot/builder is 91 years old.

Riggerrob

Mosquito has always been my dream warbird. I sketched a half-scale Mosquito replica, but a group of Frenchmen beat me by a decade or two!

pictsidhe

I thought the French Mossie was bigger?

I've always fancied a Mossie. 1/2 scale about best for 103, but then it wouldn't match my Hurricane and the cockpit fiudging would be severe. A 2/3 Hornet would be a much better bet. A 2/3 scale Me262 would also be a lot of fun!