• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Overheating 4130 with cut-off wheel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoundLog

I've started cutting out some of my 4130 fittings with a 4" cut-off wheel. I've been going very slowly but unsurprisingly it's a process that creates considerable heat when going through 1/8" 4130. I'm getting some heat discolouration on some of the edges (pictured). Looks like blue oxidisation indicates approximately 1,000 degrees F / 540 degrees C.

Once properly cleaned up and deburred is it ok to use this or are the internal stresses caused by this temperature problematic? This particular edge is not due to be welded.

Thanks for any input you guys have.

IMG_20200324_150212.jpg

Back