• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Overhaul an old engine - needing suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Built2Fly

I finally get well enough to start working on my engine. As you know, I have an old Zenoah engine that has long ceased production. I have contacted the company and it no longer have any information on that engine what so ever. Based on the Hobbs meter, the engine has about 300 hours on it. So I am thinking about an overhaul. I don't know the original factory recommended TBO.

Fortunately, as I made the purchase, it came with a new crankshaft, two new pistons, and a set of new gaskets. However, I don't have the replacement bearings or oil seals. So I am looking for some suggestions:
  1. Does it make sense to replace the crankshaft and piston, but keep the old bearing and seal? Or would opening it up cause more harm than benefit without new seals?
  2. Do I need to rebalance it with the new crankshaft? Is there a way to do it DIY, or it is better to find a shop who can do it?
  3. On that topic, shall I just find a shop to do all these and save the hassle? Would a shop take the job if there is no technical information they can find on the engine?
  4. Is there any good shop you can recommend in San Diego or Southern Cal area?
Your suggestions would be very welcomed. Thanks a lot.

Back