Quantcast

Outstanding guncam movie.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mac790

Like in the title, there are a lot of unpublished parts before in this movie, shooting Mustang at 2.58 looks really amazing, but I can't understand why a guy at 4.50 was shooting to those two at the beach? First I thought he was only going to scare them, but it really seems that he was aiming at them. 1.30 is also scary, guncams only work when you are shooting:shock: .

Seb

Last edited by a moderator:

LArzfromarz

Wow this is outstanding footage and in color too. Earlier footage in color was rare. Thanks Mac...

This inspired me to post pics of my actual gun cameras, the AN-N6 type used for exactly the above purposes based on my research. I have one Army Air Corps and one Navy camera (incomplete) and a couple undeveloped (AFAIK) 16mm film cassettes. These cameras were apparently plentiful at one time and were converted (the surplus ones I'd expect) to hand held usage with a battery pack. You can see the added on view finder in the Air Corps camera pics. You can also see no serial number stamp so I expect this camera to be non-issued surplus unit (possibly unused).
Also have a MkIIIa Reflective Sight-
Am looking for a Mk-14 sight if anybody knows of one...
Enjoy...

Attachments

Autodidact

I can't understand why a guy at 4.50 was shooting to those two at the beach?
When the government sends you off on a certain type of killing spree, I imagine it's sometimes difficult to get an accurate reading from your moral compass. Also, the Japanese had committed various attrocities and made business very difficult for our troops and our guys may have been influenced by the brass to be aggressive in that way. Hard to tell, it was war and boundaries are kind of fuzzy even in peacetime (not everyone thinks so, though).

Mac790

Larz,

Seems that you have a nice piece of history :) thanks for these pictures, do you want to use them on your bird :gig: , but seriously these guncams looks really nice, when I have some spar $$, I'll buy one too, how much are those things going for?

Autodidact,

I know about some Japanese atrocities (I would use stronger word), I've read some reports about US navy pilots actually eaten alive by Japanese ground troops.

Those Japanese pilots had hard life, no armor, non-sealed tanks, just a few shots to turn their planes into burning object.

btw. Since we have this thread, I have a question which been bother me for long time, I know that in most states you can own a gun (I've seen people shooting from M-60 machine gun for example), I know that in some states you can hunt from a plane, would it be possible in some states to actually put some firearms on your plane? If some can shoot to a deer from a plane, why some shouldn't be allowed to strafe some targets over a dessert area.

Seb

Last edited:

orion

Civilian planes are prohibited from carrying any mounted firearms, nor anything that acts as a bomb drop (technically, you're not allowed to drop anything from your plane at all, with the exception of skydivers). This goes far enough along that you are prohibited from utilizing or carrying anything that might be considered an explosive (outside of your fuel tank of course). Some time back we were looking at using explosive bolts for a particular applications and were told an emphatic "no" from the powers that be. We could've filed for a one time exemption but we were informed that it was unlikely that that was going to be approved.

Mac790

Speaking about drooping objects, seems that it might be possible here, piece of cake:gig:, you only need about 300.000$ for a Extra or Zivko and you can join those guys.

At 1.20min they actually drop something like a b... :).

Seb

autoreply

Seems that you have a nice piece of history :) thanks for these pictures, do you want to use them on your bird :gig: , but seriously these guncams looks really nice, when I have some spar $$, I'll buy one too, how much are those things going for?
I'd aim for far superior stuff:
http://www.bulletcam.nl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_new&product_id=75&category_id=18&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

The Go-Pro Hero HD has magnificent quality (full HD), is smaller then a package of sigarettes and goes for 300 euro's or so. It's the successor of the bulletcam, which sells for less than 200 Euro (720P and also good quality)
Civilian planes are prohibited from carrying any mounted firearms, nor anything that acts as a bomb drop (technically, you're not allowed to drop anything from your plane at all, with the exception of skydivers). This goes far enough along that you are prohibited from utilizing or carrying anything that might be considered an explosive (outside of your fuel tank of course). Some time back we were looking at using explosive bolts for a particular applications and were told an emphatic "no" from the powers that be. We could've filed for a one time exemption but we were informed that it was unlikely that that was going to be approved.
I had a bit of a laugh at that, given all our prejudices about all Americans, walking around with a .50 if they go shopping ;)
In Europe we're allowed to drop all kind of things (legally, as a civilian), including chaff, sand (!), water, powder and so on. I recently had a talk with a friend (lawyer and pilot) who commented that dropping 500 lbs of Anthrax, over our "White house" wasn't illegal from an EASA/FAA point of view :gig:
I guess the 20K Euro fine of our aviation authorities isn't the biggest concern if you're put away for life for terrorism ;-)

Last edited:

LArzfromarz

(technically, you're not allowed to drop anything from your plane at all, with the exception of skydivers).
Orion this is not strictly true... there are too many "flour bomb drops" for flying clubs and the like... but the spirit is correct, humbly speaking of course.:eek:

Sec. 91.15 - Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

L

LArzfromarz

Auto-"I had a bit of a laugh at that, given all our prejudices about all Americans, walking around with a .50 if they go shopping ;)"
Considering your screen name (or my shortening of it) I would think you would be sympathetic;)>
An M1911 .45 does nicely (I'm a big guy and it hides well)
the .50 cal gets heavy makes my pants fall off-

However talk like ...
"I recently had a talk with a friend (lawyer and pilot) who commented that dropping 500 lbs of Anthrax, over our "White house" wasn't illegal from an EASA/FAA point of view :gig:"
gets your name on a list and you don't get to go to the airport any longer.:speechles
We are beginning to have 'administrative issues' with both guns and planes:roll:... and I don't like it.

L

Sorry group I seem to be over posting today...

Mac790

Larry, thank you very much for you offer, you are very generous :), but please keep those piece of US history, when you get MK-14 sight you will have a nice collection. Besides I would have to prepare a special place for it :), I don't want to put in on a bookshelf, I would need a nice glass-case for it.

You guys might be right, I just edited those words starting with g.. and b.., if one of our moderators want to remove more please don't hesitate, we don't want problems for HBA, I got the answer I was looking for.

Seb

autoreply

Auto-"I had a bit of a laugh at that, given all our prejudices about all Americans, walking around with a .50 if they go shopping ;)"
Considering your screen name (or my shortening of it) I would think you would be sympathetic;)>
The only time I fired an automatic weapon was at an Albanian wedding, completely drunk (AK-47 and Uzi). Cool stuff, but I take my major weapon (voice of reason) anytime over a gun ;)

Ontopic; Wouldn't a bright laser (200 mW?) and the camera I posted before make a nice "dogfight" game, at much lower cost then the current systems?

Ontopic:
Bulletcam, 1080P, only 230 euro's (only today):
http://www.1dayfly.com/

Last edited:

Autodidact

Cool stuff, but I take my major weapon (voice of reason) anytime over a gun
By far, the prefered weapon. They don't always listen, though...
For some perspective, I'm 52 years old, lived in Texas (till age 45 or so) all my life, and have never once seen someone point a gun at another person much less shoot at them. I know that it does happen, though.

If the news media wanted to, they could create the impression that the only thing that ever happens in America is bus crashes; bush crashes one after another all day long every day!

Mac790

This one is also good (of course if we can say like that about any gun movie), anyway some interesting footage which I personally haven't seen before, included 2 gun cam movies from col. Francis Gabreski (known also as a Franciszek Gabryszewski :)) P-47 at 6.03 min.

Very unsporty kill at 5.12 min (guy was just starting his engine on the airfield, when he was attacked). And at the end one of the most unfortunate friendly kill I've seen at 3.05 min, exploding target (seems like a train station attack) blown out a friendly plane, it's better visible on those attachments, on the first one there is a plane, seconds later you can see flying pieces of the airplane, wonder how many accidents like that happened.

The quality is very poor, so full screen is a must.

Seb

Attachments

Richard6

What you don't see in any of the gun cameras is when the pilot gets to carried away focusing on the target and doesn't pull up in time. I understand that this happened rather often.

Richard

Lucrum

Log Member
What you don't see in any of the gun cameras is when the pilot gets to carried away focusing on the target and doesn't pull up in time. I understand that this happened rather often.

Richard
I think they call it target fixation.

Nickathome

but I take my major weapon (voice of reason) anytime over a gun ;)
The voice of reason is fine, but when confronted with a gun wielding maniac, I prefer to be armed, for nothing speaks louder than the sound of an AK47's slide being racked or the BANG of it being fired......