Out with the old, in with the new...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

dwalker

A few weeks ago I updated my previous post regarding whether I should find a new flight school or not that I was getting passed to a different CFI in the flight school, as my initial instructor was heading off to ATP-land.
It took a month to actually get up with the new guy. The new guy sucks. Nice guy, but he needs a different vocation.

Lets start with there was no sit-down or get-to-know-you phone call prior to scheduling the first flight. Never looked at my log book or really asked about where I was in training beyond being told by the previous CFI I had had my initial solo and was working on controlled tower solo. There were a lot of scheduling issues and cancelations, but finally we got to fly earlier this week

I had decided for the first flight we would do a simple "familiarization" flight down to SYI, do some pattern work, etc. Nothing really much to report on my end of the flight other than for some reason 85RW has a lot of static in the radios now that is no fun. I had the usual rust issues of not controlling my speed as well as I could have, turns a little sloppy, nothing big, until we got to landing.
I was landing a little flat, nothing terrible and not rough but firmer than I would like. After a few laps he says he will take the next landing. I was turning final, he had not said anything and was setting up to land then he sort of snaps to and says- "Oh I said I would take this one, my controls" OK, his controls. He proceeded to carry too much speed, landed a little fast, had a massive balloon and very rough landing. My controls, cleaned the plane up and climbed out. As I am turning base he says to me-

"That is the first landing I have done in a Cherokee since I got my PPL".

Well, that is no good. I would have figured a competent instructor, knowing he had a student in an airplane he does not fly everyday like the Warrior II instead of the 172's, might have taken an hour to take the plane up and get current and regain some proficiency before flying with a student. This is a dealbreaker for me. That and when I told him the P28 140 Warrior II POH calls for two notches of flaps on a soft field takeoff not one like the Cessna he told me that we would be be doing the soft field takeoffs with one notch, not two as prescribed.

So, it looks like I am changing schools and aircraft. There is only one other school with a low-wing in thier fleet, and its an Archer not a Warrior and they are not close to me. This means a transition back to the 172, which is what I started in 30-ish years ago. I have booked a couple hours with an instructor at another local field about 30 minutes from me to see if they are a good fit. The instructor I have booked is a retired Air Force guy who is not building time for ATP, and himself transitioned from low-wing to high, so might be a good fit.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
Good luck!
When I was working on my commercial out of a school in Sageut Illinois It seems like I got a new instructor every week who would fly one hour with me tell me everything I did had to be changed and I would never see him again .it was very frustrating.
One of the things I learned when they were trying to change how I was doing something is to ask if it was a matter of rule or style.

dwalker

Good luck!
When I was working on my commercial out of a school in Sageut Illinois It seems like I got a new instructor every week who would fly one hour with me tell me everything I did had to be changed and I would never see him again .it was very frustrating.
One of the things I learned when they were trying to change how I was doing something is to ask if it was a matter of rule or style.
I was really hoping to not make a change, I just cannot get past the fact I had a CFI fly with me without being current nor proficient in the plane.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Good to have you back. Sorry for your troubles. It should not be that way. Sadly this is the state of GA today and it is also a reflection of world events to some degree.

It appears that you have the determination to overcome these hard times. In the end they may make you better as you have seen the good as well as the bad and hopefully can sort it out.

Wish I could help more but words only do so much. Actions speak louder than words, so they say, However, when I close my eyes and think about it I can never hear what the actions are trying to teach me.

In the end it is all just hogwash. You have to take charge and learn in spite of the poor instructors.

Question - What is the difference between a teacher and an instructor?

Answer - Teachers help you learn what they want you to know. An instructor helps you learn what you want to know.

When I was in school the answer to all the problems was always to study more. That may be the answer here.

Flunked the test, study more. No friends, study more. Girlfriend didn't work out, study more. No money for a car, study more. Can't get a ride home, study. Can't sleep. Do I really need to say it again.

Let me translate that into aviation terms. No instructor available, study. Weather is bad, study. Airplane is broken, study. Don't have the money to fly, study. Instructor is an idiot, study. Don't know the answer, study. Need to take the written, study. Need to impress the new CFI, study. I could go on but I need to study. Patience, Grasshopper.

I am available if you wish to communicate more.

Last edited:

plncraze

When I was doing lessons the last time that I had money I was flying at least once with whoever was available and I got lucky and found someone who was good and wanted hours when I was available. There were a couple who I never flew with again. I got to where I was making a list of what I wanted to feel more comfortable doing and they might throw in their stuff too. Part of the drop out rate in flying is probably learning how to keep going even when the " leader" is lost. It is tough initially to sort of have your own syllabus and theirs. A good instructor should see that as a good Pilot in Command attitude.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I was working on my commercial out of a school in Sageut Illinois...
CPS! What school? I learned to fly there when Parks College was still in Cahokia and I was a student there. Most of the CFIs there were young airline bound time builders, but I got lucky and got assigned to one of two older guys who flew and instructed because they loved it.

I was really hoping to not make a change, I just cannot get past the fact I had a CFI fly with me without being current nor proficient in the plane.
Wise choice.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
CPS! What school? I learned to fly there when Parks College was still in Cahokia and I was a student there. Most of the CFIs there were young airline bound time builders, but I got lucky and got assigned to one of two older guys who flew and instructed because they loved it.

Wise choice.
I was over at BAC.
and of course almost everyone there weather they were high school student or 20 year 20,000 hour Air Force retiree was trying to get on with an airline .probably TWA.
As an old man of the advanced age of 30 I was frequently mistaken for an instructor.
My instrument instructor was John E farmer (RIP) and he luckily filled me in on a lot more than just instruments.
The airline infatuated pilots always wanted to fight over access to runway 30 and more than one instructor did not realize that runway 23 was active and discovered it as we took off…..