Oshkosh 2021

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BJC

HBA Supporter
My understanding is that it has not yet flown.

Hopefully, Scott will get a chance to give us a status report.

BJC

AED MOTORSPORT

Great news for people attending EAA AirVenture. Come by the A.E.D. Aviation's booth in hangar A, booth 1054 and tell them you seen this post on Home Built Airplanes and get your 10% discount coupon.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Thanks for the update Kevin, did it make a LOT OF NOISE?

Was it stable in flight with the Pilot on board?
It depends on your definition of noise.....
Does it have a lower decibal level than a typical internal combustion engine.....for the most part yes.
Is the loud whirring noise from the electric motors & props agitating to listen to.....in my opinion YES.
Will it ever sneak up on someone......no.

It appeared to be stable in flight but pulling up into a hover and moving a little isn't my definition of "flight".

I would love to see that thing land on a bit of an incline and watch it skate to wherever it's final resting spot is once gravity is finished with it.
That hull design is on the list of dumbest things that I've seen designers waste money on.
Who thought that was a good idea ?

Kevin

Daleandee

Most know I'm a Corvair guy ... so this Corvair powered twin has my interest (Jim & Ginger are in my video from Corvair college # 31):

Jim & Ginger are at Oshkosh with the Twin JAG on display. There is a another video online where they explain the "why & "how" of their build.

Jim is scheduled to be at the Barnwell (KBNL) Corvair college this November. Lord willing I'll be there also ...

WINGITIS

It depends on your definition of noise.....
Does it have a lower decibal level than a typical internal combustion engine.....for the most part yes.
Is the loud whirring noise from the electric motors & props agitating to listen to.....in my opinion YES.
Will it ever sneak up on someone......no.

It appeared to be stable in flight but pulling up into a hover and moving a little isn't my definition of "flight".

I would love to see that thing land on a bit of an incline and watch it skate to wherever it's final resting spot is once gravity is finished with it.
That hull design is on the list of dumbest things that I've seen designers waste money on.
Who thought that was a good idea ?

Kevin
Thanks for that Kevin

I thought the noise might be a detracting factor!

ITS MAIN FEATURE is that it should be able to get into horizontal(Airfoil) mode and go fairly fast, faster in New Zealand where there are no speed restrictions and weight/battery capacity can be more. So they should have shown that at the show...........

18 Months ago I sent them a list of issues, one was to PUT A DOOR ON IT!

I even sent them pictures of how the C4 Corvette sits the driver inside and down in the frame so they could do something similar. As they have not progressed with even a method of getting into it properly it is clearly not ready for production, or that model isnt anyway!

The curved bottom is so it can land on water and is also required to allow the body to pivot upwards at the front as part of the takeoff process, its not vertical takeoff, it moves a couple of feet forwards whilst doing that rolling motion. It does mean it cannot land on a slope but not many planes can.

I think it may still have potential but do not understand why so little progress has been made, given the seemingly unlimited funding!?

I assume the issues I pointed out with stability and wing flutter have at least been corrected but who knows.

I created them a better airfoil as well, suited just for that application, but was not prepared to give it to them if they would not be making progress!

Cheers

Kevin

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
Sad news for most of us online, someone out there thinks that we automatically know what AED Aviation is :)
It seems to be what AED Motorsports (Indianapolis based supplier of steel and aluminum for the racing crowd) call themselves when they are around airplane people. i Couldn’t make Osh this year so have asked a buddy to snag one of those coupons. A friend told me they were pretty pricey so it remains to be seen if 10% gets them cheaper that Wicks + shipping. They removed their price info from their web site a few years ago. Now you have to call or email for a quote. I take that as a bad sign….