Oshkosh 2021

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

robertl

Yes apparently when I get there I have to exchange the printed etix for a wristband, which I am not really happy about. I would have much preferred just a mailed wristband and done.
I guess that's what the Express Arrival is all about, that's what I did and got the wrist bands.
Bob

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter

TurbAero

Lifetime Supporter
After 2 attempts, I finally got approval from the Australian government to depart Australia (yes, you actually need a permit to leave Australia at the moment) so was looking forward to attending Oshkosh. Airline tickets were booked, accommodation booked, transfers all booked and I was looking forward to setting up and manning the TurbAero display.
Last week, and the day before I was to get on my flight out of Australia, a new quota was introduced to inbound passengers to Australia, reducing the already very restrictive number of inbound passengers by 50%. My flight was cancelled with no alternative options available. All my travel arrangements have now been cancelled and I am staying at home...😥.
I wish everyone a great show and I guess that it will now be either SNF or Oshkosh next year when I will be able to catch up next with those friends that I have made through the HBA forum.

dwalker

After 2 attempts, I finally got approval from the Australian government to depart Australia (yes, you actually need a permit to leave Australia at the moment) so was looking forward to attending Oshkosh. Airline tickets were booked, accommodation booked, transfers all booked and I was looking forward to setting up and manning the TurbAero display.
Last week, and the day before I was to get on my flight out of Australia, a new quota was introduced to inbound passengers to Australia, reducing the already very restrictive number of inbound passengers by 50%. My flight was cancelled with no alternative options available. All my travel arrangements have now been cancelled and I am staying at home...😥.
I wish everyone a great show and I guess that it will now be either SNF or Oshkosh next year when I will be able to catch up next with those friends that I have made through the HBA forum.
Wow that sucks!

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Reminds me of the guy who kept saying he was 'stranded' in Tahiti during the pandemic. Yeah, cry me a river, dude. But not getting to Oshkosh when you had plans? That's a real tragedy. It's hard for me just not planning to attend.

TurbAero

Lifetime Supporter
Can't you make it to Auckland, then AKL to LAX?
I can get flights out of Australia ok. I just can’t get back into Australia until December at the earliest due to the quotas. I would have been happy to go to the US for 6 months just to be able to go to Oshkosh but voluntarily doing that wouldn’t have gone down very well with the missus and kids, although it was definitely a hard choice for me 😬. Family or Oshkosh… a choice that an aviation nut like myself shouldn’t have to make!

Kiwi303

I would have thought those with their return already booked would have those bookings honoured, and only those applying as new applicants would have been affected...

Groundhog Gravy

I would have thought those with their return already booked would have those bookings honoured, and only those applying as new applicants would have been affected...
"I would think" lots of things, but it seems that many of those things have gone out the window lately. It's a pity TurbAero isn't coming; I live near Oshkosh, and could use a hand with my Flea project.

PMD

We waited until yesterday in hopes the US would open land border to non-essential travel, but obviously did not happen. With flybuddy's Aztruck wadded up last month, and my only other air ride working the flight line for the full week, we have to pass on the two days we had available (1 1/2 actually). Maybe sun-and-fun??

robertl

I can get flights out of Australia ok. I just can’t get back into Australia until December at the earliest due to the quotas. I would have been happy to go to the US for 6 months just to be able to go to Oshkosh but voluntarily doing that wouldn’t have gone down very well with the missus and kids, although it was definitely a hard choice for me 😬. Family or Oshkosh… a choice that an aviation nut like myself shouldn’t have to make!
Well at least you will get some points with the wife.
Bob

dwalker

I am driving in Sunday, but we have changed plans and will be in a hotel. If someone needs a camping spot in Scholler please feel free to reach out.
Next up, since we are staying at a hotel and likely shuttle bus or uber to the field every day, I am curious if there is a place on the field to leave a pair of bicycles overnight, as I think my son and I are either going to bring a set or purchase/rent a pair to get around on.

Bigshu

I'm packing for Oshkosh, and thought I would mention a favorite item.

Carry a couple of microfiber rags in a zip lock bag in your backpack. At some point during one of the days that it doesn't rain, you will want to wipe the sweat and grime off your face and neck before having a beer / meal / settle down in camp until the shower lines are less than 100 people. Wet the rag, and wipe your face and neck, and feel refreshed.

That evening, rinse the rag and hang it up to dry. Put the second (dry) rag in your pack.

Simple, but effective.

BJC
Spoken like an Eagle scout! Nothing like a good camping/backpacking/hiking tip.

TurbAero

Lifetime Supporter
This is a bit of a long post...
Even though I cannot be at Oshkosh this year, I'd like to invite all HBA members who are attending Oshkosh to swing past the TurbAero booth to check out our display. We are in Booth #615 in the Homebuilt Aircraft Display area, so only about 100 yards from the morning coffee get-together and dotted amongst the kitplane manufacturers.
While TurbAero does not yet have a running engine, we are currently commencing prototyping of components for our prototype engine with the target of having it running early next year. Come Sun 'n Fun next year, we hope to be able to display an engine that has not only run, but can demonstrate the functionality and validate the performance spec's for the engine. In the meantime, we are opening the Kimono just a little to allow interested folks to keep an eye on our program as we progress through the design, prototyping and testing of our 200hp turboprop engine.
No, we are not selling engines at this time; no, we are not taking deposits; no, we only have targets in relation to performance and specifications, not verified figures; yes, we do listen to and give due consideration to input from others; no, we may not always agree with input we receive, but we do give it due consideration; yes, we have a very talented and professional design team (over 20 engineers have been involved to date who have significant experience with P&W, Honeywell, Capstone etc.); and no, we are not a P&W or Rolls Royce. We do not have their budget or resources but we have dedication, professionalism, a talented team, a great deal of perseverance and brilliant support from our shareholders.
For those that follow our progress from now on, I think you will be interested to see things coming together with the engine. As parts get fabricated, as components are put together into assemblies, as test cells are prepared etc., there will be a lot to see over the next 18 months. This Oshkosh is the first time that we have overtly exposed ourselves and yes, we are only displaying a model but it will give visitors to our display an idea of the size and layout of our engine and maybe give them cause to start thinking about whether this potential alternative to the current piston engine offerings may be worth considering.
Another feature of the TurbAero display will be the airframe that the engine model is mounted to. This airframe is one provided by Rapture Aircraft Inc, and is the Rapture Bug. This is a new-design high performance single seater, inspired by the Lightning Bug aircraft. The retractable nosegear 200hp Turbine Bug is anticipated to offer a cruise speed of around 240ktas (the current 120hp Bug tops out at 200ktas with its fixed nosegear). A teaser of the Turbine Bug that will be on display is shown below. The engine mount is not a real one and is only to hold the engine model in place. Likewise, the nosegear is simply to support the airframe for display purposes. The rest of the airframe is the real thing and is intended to undertake first flight early next year.
So, although I won't be making it to Oshkosh myself, please swing past Booth #615 and check out what we have there.

Dave

Fuse8.jpg

robertl

Well on a crappy note, after all the planning, buying a new, self-deploying, light weight, 3.6 lb. tent, buying the Express Arrival tickets with wrist bands, I have a cold, not terrible yet but if it takes the same turn as my wifes cold, it's going to get worse! My go no go date is tomorrow, Sat. the 24th and I don't see it getting better enough to risk passing it along to my two buddys that I was flying with. And I don't want to go feeling like crap, so I guess I'll have my $122.00 wrist band as a souvenir.
Bob, sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug !