Oshkosh 2021

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Daleandee

One last video on the Blackfly ultralight (their words). This video from AVweb shows some of the training (simulator) that will be required for those that are ready to buy ...

Get ready and get your wallet out!

Last edited:

TFF

At $15-20K the Grumman is a great airplane. At $60-80K, it’s not.

I had to add 5lb to the tail of my friend’s. If my friends can get their tank STC going it supposedly comes with a gross increase. The C models have the best gross, Bs are in the middle, and fast wings and As have the least. Bs and Cs have the thicker spars. Cs have the AA5 elevators so they have better CG and highest gross, but are the most draggy. The perfect homebuilt version would be a speed wing with the later spar and the bigger tail.
If we could use an Odyssey battery we could probably get rid of half that tail weight. If we could legally bend in about 5” more pitch in the prop, it would match an average RV.

WINGITIS

One last video on the Blackfly ultralight (their words). This video from AVweb shows some of the training (simulator) that will be required for those that are ready to buy ...

Get ready and get your wallet out!

Many thanks for that.

I would still like to see them getting in and out of it! Also he said it did an Auto-land but it looked and sounded a bit ragged, the rear engines powered down in some non linear mode, if its ready for sale soon it should all be smooth.

For some reason they still do not want to show high speed(Level airfoil) mode, that is frustrating because without that it wont be useful.

One of the pilots heads nearly touches the canopy and that is with that super massive body depth so I do not think its really production ready just yet.

Their promised deadlines have come and gone before, they could be bogged down inside the Autonomous flight controls interface but they have had more than 3 years to sort that, a time in which the basic configuration has not changed.

Really they should have been zooming around at all sorts of angles and stunts to really impress people, also with a formation of three showing they actually have control and pilots with CONFIDENCE in the machine.

Those flights remind me of novice pilots uncertain of whats coming if they push the envelope.

In previous times those simulators had an issue where the public could not control them because there appeared to be a ton of lag between a control movement and the response from the craft in the simulator, all basic stuff to get right really.

Still they at least flew it!

manoeuvre

WINGITIS

BRS=Ballistic Recovery System (Second Chantz)...

dB= Noise Level (seems vety high !)
OK thanks, yes it would need a BRS, 25 mile range and in level airfoil mode, fuselage at an angle, it will be quickish and can gain altitude like anything else.

Noise to takeoff is due to a lot of thrust 109lbs x 8 engines.

Again in level airfoil flight mode it can back off and be like any plane, so wont need the 872lbs thrust!

That thrust is with the airfoil in place as installed as well.

I think they may not want the FAA to see how fast it can actually go!

In NZ there are not set speed limits, no license or registration required, weight and battery range can be increased and someone that has never flown anything before can jump in it a head off, without a radio.

Only on the first flight does a Microlight club member need to look over the craft to see if he thinks its ok to fly!

THEY CALL THAT FREEDOM, after a couple of collisions/crashes into houses/schools or other airplanes that may change..................................

WINGITIS

-some VTOLs are more silent (better blades)...
True, but it could be the wing interference adding to the noise, I assume they have done their homework on the blades, although I note the airfoil is pretty standard and has not changed for a few years, so this business of freezing the design for production may be a limiter.

He does say its in production and they show MANY pairs of wings stacked up.

"Ready in the FALL" that could be a variable date!?

llemon

Just how is the blackfly an ultralight in the US? Their listed weight is 343lbs. Did they get some sort of exemption? Has there ever been such a thing in 103?

TFF

Was the Blackfly being flown with an RC transmitter or were they commanding a flight computer? It’s a lot bigger than I thought it was.

Daleandee

Human inside, actually.
True. I didn't go back to the video but I thought I heard something said about those flight being programmed ...

I'm not really interested in the Blackfly in its present iteration but the technology being explored is intriguing .

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The airframe configuration of the Blackfly, allowing VTOL and then level "aerodynamic" flight... that is pretty clever and allows some big problems to be solved. From cruising altitude, in the event of a complete power loss, it appears that it could glide down to a skid/run-on landing under some amount of control.

That is assuming they were ancient and archaic enough to put elevators and ailerons on the thing...

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The Blackfly would also need a vertical tail to glide power off. That's why I don't think it qualifies as an ultralight.