Oshkosh 2020 Cancelled

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BJC

HBA Supporter
I already bought my "I flew into Airventure" t-shirts.

Alternate is the wife and I are flying the Archer to Washington in August, could catch the museum on the way back....

Billski
Washington state, or city in DC?

Wrt Oshkosh, there remains a slim chance that I will make it there in August .... assuming that the museum opens.

BJC

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Washington state, or city in DC?

Wrt Oshkosh, there remains a slim chance that I will make it there in August .... assuming that the museum opens.

BJC
That could be confusing. Washington state in August flying the Archer. Works way better with OSH "on the way" than with DC.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I was not intending anything like a protest. I was intending to wear my "I flew to Airventure 2020" t-shirt and hat, operate normally, land and park at Basler, go to the museum, have a meal at one of the restaurants we know so well just north of the field, then go home. We did this in early July one year while waiting out T-storms further along the route, and it works fine. Since the museum is not scheduled to re-open until at least August, I will have to do it later. And if I know a planned mass arrival is doing it on a particular day, I won't do it that day.

BJC

HBA Supporter
That could be confusing. Washington state in August flying the Archer. Works way better with OSH "on the way" than with DC.
Well, that is what I thought, but I couldn’t rule out that you may be related to Douglas Corrigan.

FWIW, I consider the Boeing Museum of Flight (“temporarily closed”) to be one of the four best museums in the nation.

Depending on your sightseeing / route preference, I can recommend overnights at Kalispell S27, Logan LGU, Rapid City RAP, and several others.

BJC

aeromomentum

[Moderator Edit]

My point of all of this is the EAA made the correct decision to cancel Oshkosh this year based on the official data provided by the federal government and administration. I am not happy with Oshkosh being canceled and with SnF being canceled. These shows are the high lite of my year. About 1/3 of my sales are due to these two shows so this has a large economic impact to me. But I am not so selfish that I would put my profits, recreation or politics over the lives of others.

BJC

HBA Supporter
My point of all of this is the EAA made the correct decision to cancel Oshkosh this year based on the official data provided by the federal government and administration.
I agree, even though I really missed SnF, and will miss Oshkosh.

... [Moderator Edit] ...

It will be interesting to see how the EAA deals with the absence of their major source of income. Ditto pilots world wide. Ditto FBOs. Ditto A&Ps. Ditto kitplane manufacturers. Ditto TC airplane manufacturers. Ditto avionics manufacturers. Etc.

BJC

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Moderator Note: There are now about three pages of posts (and chunks of a few others) missing from this thread. The thread started off (just fine) with a discussion of the cancellation of Oshkosh 2020. Yes, it was cancelled because of the current pandemic. However, the discussion diverted into COVID-19 and from there turned to politics, to the media, and to conspiracy theories and misinformation. We've asked in other threads that the forum avoid COVID-19 discussions, because this same progression has happened every time it's brought up. We know it's on everyone's mind, but the history of that topic here on HBA is that it's a powderkeg, and has always devolved into topics specifically excluded by the HBA Code of Conduct.

We really don't have to do much moderation on this forum, most of the time. Please help us keep it that way. Thank you.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Chris in Marshfield reported that Jack Pelton posted a note saying that the EAA Museum was not likely to reopen before August 1. When I look at the Wisconsin reopening plan, even that date looks unlikely.

Does anyone have any inside perspective as to when Wisconsin / Oshkosh / the EAA Museum might actually reopen?

Thanks,

BJC

dragon2knight

HBA Supporter
Chris in Marshfield reported that Jack Pelton posted a note saying that the EAA Museum was not likely to reopen before August 1. When I look at the Wisconsin reopening plan, even that date looks unlikely.

Does anyone have any inside perspective as to when Wisconsin / Oshkosh / the EAA Museum might actually reopen?

Thanks,

BJC
Silly question, but have you tried calling them...? Always best to get it directly from the source.

Chris In Marshfield

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The 800 number isn't connecting for me this morning. I've got a side-message in to one of the staffers. I'll let you know what he says.

Edit: From their FB page a few days ago:

1593093451836.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BJC

PagoBay

PilotEdge to Host Virtual AirVenture Fly-In

PilotEdge, a subscription-based ATC service for flight simulation, has teamed up with the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) and the National Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA) to replicate the AirVenture experience in flight simulation this July 21-25.

PilotEdge plans to replicate this entire flying experience on their platform – complete with real world Oshkosh Air Traffic Controllers on duty. This experience is available to all PilotEdge subscribers including users taking part in their free trial.

About half of our small GA community here are very active in home flight simulators. My CFI/CFII flies VR to keep in practice because we seldom have real IFR conditions. I have been flying with my instructor using remote Skype screen sharing 2 or 3 times in most weeks during the lock down period.

For those with a home sim, this might soften the loss of AirVenture 2020 a tiny bit.