Oshkosh 2019

Discussion in 'Upcoming Events and Trip Reports' started by BJC, Apr 12, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 16, 2019 #21

BJC

BJC

BJC

Welcome, Jerry. Looking forward to meeting you at Oshkosh.

BJC

2. Apr 16, 2019 #22

BJC

BJC

BJC

spaschke, buy the gasoline, go fly, and join us for morning coffee.

BJC

3. Apr 16, 2019 #23

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

4. Apr 17, 2019 #24

Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart

I've only been once and was really lucky to have done it right the first time. Beginner's luck.

What did I do right? I got there two days before the event officially opened. The main gate opens several days before the official start.

Getting there two days early allowed me to enjoy the best part of the whole thing - sitting on the bleachers watching hundreds and hundreds (billions and billions?) of planes landing two and sometimes three at a time. Listening to the sometimes confused pilots and tower personnel on a handheld while watching the ground crews keeping things organized and moving.

Getting there early also allowed me to find tent space in Paul's Park - there were three to pick from that had not been reserved or already taken.

Also, I had a free run of the place on my little Dahon fold-a-bike. With no crowds around, vendors were happy to let me watch them setting up and answer any questions. The bike let me chase anything that caught my interest. Once the inner gates to the pavilions have been set up bikes have to be left outside the gates but even at that, having a bike is a huge advantage.

After everything was winding down and I was leaving, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that watching the planes come in was the best part of the whole event. Most people going to Oshkosh don't know they missed the best part.

BJC likes this.
  5. Apr 17, 2019 #25

BJC

BJC

BJC

Been doing that for decades, and completely agree.

BJC

Pops likes this.
  6. Apr 17, 2019 #26

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

Welcome aboard Jerry! You can help me pour coffee at HBHQ.:D

7. Apr 18, 2019 #27

robertl

robertl

robertl

The airshows are the least of the things I want to see. The three times I've been to Airventure I could see as much air show as I wanted from my camp site. I just like being around thousands of airplanes, War Birds, Homebuilts, Kits, Vintage, and especially the ultralight area. The sound of a Radial engine coughing to life, the sound of a P-51 doing a flyby with the other WWII airplanes, that's about the only time I get to hear and see that. I have flown a T-6 from the rear seat, ridden in the bombardiers seat in a B-17, a passengers seat on the Ford Tri Motor, right seat in an open air kit plane, front seat in a 1929 American Standard Bi Plane and a Bell 47. But the airshows, once you've seen it a couple of times, well, it's ok, it's just not my thing.
    Bob

8. Apr 18, 2019 #28

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

I been to Osh back on 07 and again last year . Also since I spend winter in Fl. I went to Sun in Fun last year and this. I have to agree I don't go for the air show .I could definitely do with out the defining roar of the low fly overs . Most especially at Sun n Fun. I did the small Fl. shows this year as well, De land and Sea bring.

I went for inspiration in 07 . As of lately as a companion to someone that is just an Oshkosh addict and air show lover in general. He's also looking for a plane to buy. Hanging between Sea max and Icon .
    So far my highlight has been a long conversation with Miguel the designer of the Sea max.
    It is hard to find that connection . The Vender's are there to sell something, So where are those cracker barrel conversations ?

9. Apr 19, 2019 #29

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Which is better, more fun, more family friendly? OSH or LAL?

10. Apr 19, 2019 #30

rw2

rw2

rw2

They are both very family friendly. Oshkosh kid zone is pretty awesome. Go to whichever is more convenient.

wsimpso1 likes this.
  11. Apr 19, 2019 #31

BJC

BJC

BJC

I've met lots of men at Sun n Fun whose wife and kids were spending the week at Disney World.

Each event has its own character. I like both. Oshkosh will have many more military aircraft, Sun n Fun will have more LSA and Ultralights.

The best advice that I can give you is that you should go to both.

BJC

wsimpso1 likes this.
  12. Apr 27, 2019 #32

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Certainly, in a perfect world you would attend both.

Having been to Lakeland, it was nice. Small enough that you never felt overwhelmed by the venue. Large enough to have everything that you want to see. Many warbirds were there. It was a very good time.

I have friends that fly their C-310 to OSH every year, spend a day and a half, camping out on the ground, and then return home. If we were to go, it would be for the entire week. And...in a hotel!

13. Apr 28, 2019 #33

robertl

robertl

robertl

TXFly, If you want to stay in a Hotel, I think you will have to book a room at least one or two years in advance for Airventure, and I believe the room rates go up a couple of hundred dollars a night. At least that's the word I get from some, 'more experienced" A/V attendees than myself. I've only been 3 times and we camped but I would go every year if I could. I have driven two times, right at a thousand miles one way but we stopped in Merrillville, In. and had about a 3 hr. drive the next day. Last year I made a bad mistake by not stopping there again. When we got to Merrillville, it was just a little after 5 pm and I said to my buddy, what are we going to do for 4 or 5 hrs before we go to bed, lets drive on past Chicago and then get a room. BIG mistake, once we got past Chicago, I called AAA, and every other booking service I could think of, trying to get a room. No luck, nothing, nada! So, we arrived at A/V at 9:30 pm, we had left S.C. at 5:30 am and it had been raining for a couple of days in Oshkosh. After registration, we started looking for a camp site, I had my vintage Apache pop up camper this time, I mean, we're going first class this time, no more tents. Lol ! Anyway, we pulled down one of the dirt, (mud) roads and got stuck right away. The kind volunteers said they would get us going the next morning, which they did. Love the volunteers, they are all great ! Well, as you can imagine, that first night sucked big time, trying to sleep in the truck after already spending 19 hours driving. But it's an adventure we can laugh about now. Hope you get A/V and have a great time, no matter where you stay.
    Bob

14. Apr 28, 2019 #34

TFF

TFF

TFF

Oshkosh can be like cramming for an exam, but a Pile of stuff that is all interesting. I usually go to the show for two days and have a day each way travel. I could always add another day if needed. Because it is all interesting, you have to prioritize what you have to see and what you don’t feel bad about missing. You will miss lots. There is two modes. Information hunting and just being there. If you are information hunting, it is hard to have people in tow. There may be someone talking at the UL strip you want to see, and then the next hour someone over at the one of the class workshops , and then the next is one is at the theater. If you did not take the tram, you just did four miles of walking. You have to be strategic or you will be worn out. The next day will have different offerings. The other way is just being there. If you are not strolling by something that is not interesting, you are in the wrong place. I watch the air show as I traverse the grounds. Things are closed up after the air show, so I am getting what snippets I can then. Sometimes you have to stop. How many times can you see a private owned Harrier? The days I’m there, I information hunt first, but if I am out of sequence, like forums I want to see are on days I’m not there, I turn to just enjoying what’s where I am standing.

15. Apr 28, 2019 #35

Pops

Pops

Pops

Still have the radio I bought at OSH many years ago that I use for decades walking out as close to the VOR as I can get and setting down and watching the airplanes land and take-off. I would go just for that. Problem with that, I have seem people get killed in crashes.

16. Apr 28, 2019 #36

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

OSH -1976. Considering building a plane (green as could be), a friend and I saw Bert's Vari-Eze, fell in love, bought the plans and built one. Been a regular at OSH ever sense. With few exceptions, I anticipate, plan, look forward to all year, and spend the week camping and just relaxing. Have moved from a tent, to a home-made pop-up, a store bought pop-up, a camper, a larger camper, a fifth wheel, and now a toy-hauling fifth-wheel. (Old bones need pampering!)
    I cannot say the enjoyment I've experienced over the years, aviation is just my greatest pleasure. And, Living 200 miles away certainly helps. Friends I've made over the years, new acquaintances every year, the pyro guys, the tower guys, the pilots, builders, designers, and the dreamers,.....all a hoot to talk to. I can't miss it, PERIOD! If aviation is in your blood, you must not miss it.

Kyle Boatright, BJC and Pops like this.
  17. Apr 28, 2019 #37

Pops

Pops

Pops

My first year was in 1974 and camping was in the Warbird area out towards the VOR. My children grew up going to OSH each year camping.

Mark Schoening likes this.
  18. Apr 29, 2019 #38

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

My first year was 1994. I was a 100 year private pilot coming 700 miles from Atlanta in my Tomahawk. They landed us on 27 with a 15 knot crosswind from the south. I've never been a great crosswind pilot, but greased that one. My co-pilot was quite impressed. It was the most amazing, fun event I'd ever attended and I didn't even get to the things I enjoy the most now. I've probably been 4 outta 5 years since, maybe more. I've taken my father, my two best friends from school, and my wife (twice). I tent camped by the airplane every time.

Most of the changes have been good. A few (the more distant crowd line), haven't. I think the folks managing the arrival/runways were better 15 years ago, and I understand the controller's union is the big issue.

Mark Schoening likes this.
  19. Apr 29, 2019 #39

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

As camping under the wing is not for me, hotel reservations have been made...a year in advance. Plus a rental car is arranged, right on the field at a local FBO.

That does not mean that I will attend, but everything is all set for the trip.

mcrae0104 likes this.
  20. Apr 29, 2019 #40

BJC

BJC

BJC

Join us for coffee if you do make it to Oshkosh.

All HBAers are invited.

BJC

TXFlyGuy and Mark Schoening like this.