Oshkosh 2019

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Barnaby Wainfan was scheduled to present a forum on "Light Airplane Drag Reduction". I was unable to attend.

Is a copy of the presentation available?

Thanks,

BJC

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Dave Yeoman did EAA forum recordings for forty years. His family donated the reel to feel recordings to the museum. They have to be digitally recorded for easy access. Hopefully this will happen soon. Wainfan had a few years of drag reduction forums. He talked about using tape and the round part of plastic spoons to get a few more mph out of a plane.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Last edited:

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Dave Yeoman did EAA forum recordings for forty years. His family donated the reel to feel recordings to the museum. They have to be digitally recorded for easy access. Hopefully this will happen soon. Wainfan had a few years of drag reduction forums. He talked about using tape and the round part of plastic spoons to get a few more mph out of a plane.
They don't record the forums anymore, sadly. I have Wainfan's Low aspect ratio cassette tape from 20 years ago.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Bummer. When the new forum buildings went up Yeoman tried to get all the wires laid out but IIRC they were dug up or something like that. With the internet I am surprised some of these forums are not broadcast live like the Theater in the Woods. Mike Collins forgot his mic was still on when he was walking out after he was on stage LOL.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Finally back from Oshkosh. We had a great time. I nearly got sick on Friday night but rest and hydration and determination prevailed.

Saw some of you there which was a treat, surely I missed a few more. But all the same, thanks to those who stopped by and saw our project, in my eyes dwarfed by some of the greats around us, but nevertheless the encouragement from visitors has been huge. The scale of this thing only gets bigger, despite the plane staying the same size.

I may have to revive an old thread and post a more proper update but still processing things.

Random observations:

• New homebuilt area is fairly nice. I like the logistics of it well enough.
  • Jets are still loud.
  • Japanese jet glider from Nausicaa was awesome.
  • Lots of warbirds this year.
  • A few younger homebuilders out there giving me hope I'm not alone.
  • Wish there were more younger homebuilders.
  • Badland Ultralight looks really good.
  • Timber Tiger Ryan looks really good.
  • My eyes for a bigger Bearhawk or Murphy Moose or other 4+cargo plane have grown some this show.
  • Most of the drone/multirotor/distributed propulsion aircraft stuff in the innovation tent is boring to me. But one or two things seem less boring than the others, if only I could remember their crazy names for this stuff. Can Opener? Black Fly Super Rainbow?
  • Wish there was a more direct express tram from the homebuilding displays to the ultralight displays. The current tram method is slower than just walking , even with distractions. A line that just has two stops and goes between them would likely get a lot of use.
  • There's some better food than I remember in the past, but some worse. The food near the Warbirds was pitiful.
  • Need a proper booth/trailer for next year.
  • Need a camper for next year while we're at it.
  • Need a flying aircraft and a sellable kit next year for any of that to matter.
  • I managed to maintain my weight from before the show, while I'd assumed I'd sweat off at least a pound or two over the week.
  • Turns out I'm no longer the young kid who gets paid a few bucks to bang out a project. Now there's other, younger kids for that.
  • Jets are still loud.
I saw the pic of your P-36. Its looking great can we get more info on your progress?