Oshkosh 2019

Discussion in 'Upcoming Events and Trip Reports' started by BJC, Apr 12, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 12, 2019 #1

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Ok guys and gals (always looking to upgrade the HBA community), Sun n Fun is over (and I missed it) so it is time to start planning for the annual EAA Convention at Oshkosh. I just sold a vacuum pump, so I have pocket money for a trip to Oshkosh. If you are interested in any aspect of general aviation and haven't been to Oshkosh, you owe it to yourself to attend ASAP.

FYI, HBAers gather at Homebuilt Headquarters around 0745 or 0800 hours to meet each other face-to-face over a cup of coffee. I propose that we do so again this year. Look for a small "HBA" card on a picnic table to locate us. Note that there are free donuts and coffee for homebuilders on Wednesday (Marc, please correct me it that is incorrect) so there will be a crowd there that day, but there will be room for us to gather and talk, just not under the shelter.

I know that some of you plan to participate by flying in, being a commercial vendor, speaking, volunteering, teaching, etc. Please let us know your details so that we can visit your display, forum, etc.

Looking forward to seeing HBAers again, and meeting more of you this year.

BJC

2. Apr 12, 2019 #2

nerobro

nerobro

nerobro

I"ll be there again. Maybe I'll manage to make morning coffee.... for the first time.

3. Apr 12, 2019 #3

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

I'll be there with bells on. Manly bells, of course.

bmcj likes this.
  4. Apr 12, 2019 #4

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirds will have a booth at spot 632, in the North Homebuilt exhibit area. Look forward to being there, and hope we'll have enough people on hand that I can wander over to one or two of those 8am meetups. Of course we aren't that far this year, unlike last year when we were out in the Ultralight area.

5. Apr 12, 2019 #5

Turbine Aeronautics

Turbine Aeronautics

Turbine Aeronautics

I’ll be there.

Dave

6. Apr 12, 2019 #6

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

Looking forward to it!

My tilley hat has my nickname on the back of it if you see me about, and I will be teaching gas welding some days too.

Billski

7. Apr 13, 2019 #7

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Count me in! Never too early to start planning.

8. Apr 13, 2019 #8

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

I’ll keep the coffee coming!

9. Apr 14, 2019 #9

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

10. Apr 15, 2019 #10

dragon2knight

dragon2knight

dragon2knight

I'm finally going there for the first time this year(last year I was unfortunately derailed by an unruly Toyota Corolla coughing up one of it's rods en route...). I'm really looking forward to being there :)

11. Apr 15, 2019 #11

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I only go to the air shows where it's free for everybody to get in.

What are you paying for, to see some planes?

I see enough of them every day and they say to me, why aren't you working on me, get done with that trailer already.

12. Apr 15, 2019 #12

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Oshkosh is not an airshow to me. It is more of a vacation home (tent space) I rent one week a year where the action is.
    Costs a few hundred for travel. But that would apply to any travel to a second vacation home that likely would cost thousands to maintain.
    I don't need a second vacation home.

rjinaz, nerobro and BJC like this.
  13. Apr 15, 2019 #13

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

I think the kept well grounds, the exhibits, the plethora of planes of all types, the friends from the past, the airshows, the military up close and personal, the "shop talk", the FREE workshops, the friendliness of the people, the fireworks, the showers, and the knowledge that can be obtained, etc, etc, make it well worth the effort to attend and the small amount of money laid out.
    Seems with the ever increasing attendance, people interested in airplanes, flying, the construction of, and a safe and CLEAN environment in which to enjoy, the EAA provides a service that is increasingly popular. IMHO, that is.

14. Apr 15, 2019 #14

BJC

BJC

BJC

Mark:

Well said, and the friends from the past and the friendliness of the people includes the local population as well as those attending the convention.

BJC

Mark Schoening likes this.
  15. Apr 16, 2019 #15

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

Getting out of the regular environment and seeing a lot of different and cool airplanes, the ones you don't see locally is pretty fun for those who like seeing the different planes. Not everyone is that fussed by it. On the other hand there's seeing people doing what you want to be doing someday, and succeeding; frankly that bit is a good motivator for when you get back to really double down on the efforts. There's also good inspiration from seeing how a certain plane does a thing ("They get away with THAT?" or "Oh that is very simple, duh" or "Well I know what not to do") But unless you're actively designing a plane, or building one with a lot of loose ends in the drawings, maybe that sort of inspiration doesn't mean much.

So ultimately it can be about getting out of the bubble and seeing thousands of like-minded sorts of people. That has a draw too.

I will admit, having done it a few times now, (and with any show like this) if you don't know anyone there, show up on your own, walk around and see the stuff, and don't have any sort of hook to connect with other people there on some deeper social level, and especially if opening those types of avenues up at random isn't in your nature (it ain't mine) well, going a show like Oshkosh can seem like a lot of noise and chaos and spectacle and social pressure and "FOMO" as they say. It might seem strange for someone to want to spend days or weeks in that environment. If you have a goal to just hit it, see some stuff, and yeet out of there, you can pretty-much make a walk of the entire grounds and capture the highlights in a long hard day, and definitely see most of what there is to see with two days. By then, you'll know if that's enough for one lifetime or if you need to do more. Many pilots make no fuss to go. Many orient their entire yearly schedule around going. There's obviously a there there.

But back to the point about knowing people there. Or knowing people who probably will be there. Or just knowing people. Or people knowing you. Some people don't need a network to just insert themselves into one. Others need a written invitation and a formal introduction.

But I would say that if you chance the time and effort to make it out to one of these shows, I'm sure there would be at least from this forum some small contingent of folks to talk to from time to time at those morning meetups, and maybe someone to show you around the show if it's your first time. It even seems like there's a specified formal invitation and time to make an introduction if that's what you prefer.

And lastly like, I get it: Oshkosh isn't punk. It isn't cvlt. It's very mainstream and a bunch of representation from a few core demographics. It could use a bit more variety IMO. Maybe that's something to bring to the table at some point.

16. Apr 16, 2019 #16

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

I'd be happy with Oshkosh if they cancelled the airshow proper. It isn't 5% of the reason I go.

BJC, nerobro and ScaleBirdsScott like this.
  17. Apr 16, 2019 #17

nerobro

nerobro

nerobro

There's an airshow? I wasn't even aware of it the first year I went. I'm "only tangentally"aware of it now, as it's easier to visit booths while there's planes attracting the mundanes. :)

18. Apr 16, 2019 #18

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

But, it's way more of a pain to actually communicate when you've got an F-16 at full broil making a low passes.

Oshkosh is less bad for this, more likely to see 20x T-6 formation flyovers than an F-16 trying to roast eardrums; but you still get both in some measure.

19. Apr 16, 2019 #19

Jerry Fischer

Jerry Fischer

Jerry Fischer

Hi Gang, new to this site. Hope to see all y'all at HBC this year. it will be our 4th year of the Sunday Beer Tasting to kick off the great week ahead. Great way to meet and connect with homebuilding folks under our new pavillion.

BJC and ScaleBirdsScott like this.
  20. Apr 16, 2019 #20

spaschke

spaschke

spaschke

I'm trying to make it. If I get my phase 1 flown off by then I'll be there. If not, I may just be there for a couple days. I'll drop my family at my mothers at the Iron Range (MN).

BJC likes this.