Oshkosh 2017

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Chris In Marshfield

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm going to be making my maiden voyage with the amphib this year. This will be my 3rd year flying in but first in the airplane I built. I will be there all week so I will definitely make it out for breakfast at least one morning. I can't freaking wait, best week of the year every year. I'm already stressed out about not having enough time for everything I want to do in 1 week. It always goes by too fast. I plan on parking in the amphib area and making a couple splashes over to the seaplane base on one of the slower days.
What kind of amphib are we looking for?

Streffpilot

I'm going to be making my maiden voyage with the amphib this year. This will be my 3rd year flying in but first in the airplane I built. I will be there all week so I will definitely make it out for breakfast at least one morning. I can't freaking wait, best week of the year every year. I'm already stressed out about not having enough time for everything I want to do in 1 week. It always goes by too fast. I plan on parking in the amphib area and making a couple splashes over to the seaplane base on one of the slower days.
Do you have a picture or something else for us to know what to look for?

142yx

Ill be there for my 5th trip to Airventure, 2nd time flying in in my homebuilt Sonex Waiex.

Its been a while since I have actively posted on HBA - I now work at a startup in Centennial, CO called Boom Supersonic. We are developing a modern follow-on to the Concorde that is actually affordable to fly on. About 7 years ago I was a total noob in the world of aviation. It was the EAA, my experience in homebuilding, and quite honestly this forum that gave me the start I needed to eventually work on cool stuff like this for a living. I'll be giving a talk about our technology demonstrator aircraft, the XB-1, at Oshkosh this year. Would be awesome if some HBA'ers could make it.

My CEO Blake Scholl will be giving a talk on Monday, July 24th at 4:00pm on Forum Stage 1 entitled "Building a Faster Future". This talk will focus on Boom Supersonic's mission; why we are doing this and how we intend to bring back mainstream, supersonic commercial travel at an affordable price.
Link: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/event/Building_a_Faster_Future?id=8EC86CCD78284791BF948B8BC7319E55

I will be giving a talk on Tuesday, July 25th at 2:30pm on Forum Stage 3 entitled "Boom Supersonic - Inside Sneak Peek". This talk will focus on the specific design and engineering of the XB-1, our supersonic technology demonstrator aircraft being built right now in Centennial, Colorado. I'll also tell a little bit of time on my story, and how building an airplane in my garage gave me the career trajectory boost that I needed to get to work on such a cool project.
Link: https://www.eaa.org/airventure/event/Boom_Supersonic_-_Inside_Sneak_Peek?id=5C15C06C7B864D86AEE1D52CF297AE51

If you are curious, our company's website: https://boomsupersonic.com

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Looks like I'll be going Tuesday & Wednesday by myself and taking my Mom and 6 boys for Friday.

So, do you guys meet every morning at 8:00? Anybody going to any cool forums?

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
An FYI for anyone interested. Thatcher CX 4 and CX 5 builders will be meeting at Homebuilt Headquarters Thursday at noon.
Do you know of any CX-4/5s that will be flying in? Brandon Burgdorf's fastback -4 was here maybe two years ago, tied down by HBHQ. Really cool little plane.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Well, I was gonna tour the west coast of FL on down to Key West in this 701 "Turtle" but rooms are scarce so now plan B which is the other way up to OSH. Threw together a quick plan...found a room in a nice ladies' private residence that has the other rooms booked by EAA ladies. Well this will be different. House full of women. Outnumbered again, just one woman outnumbers one man any day, much less a house full; lookin back, men never did have a chance.
So I'm gonna land and tie down at the Red Barn(I refuse to call it the "Fun Fly Zone", how hokey is THAT??...embarrassing)...my radio is a little iffy like everything else I got and Red Barn is NORDO. Nice. Got a 250 dirtbike borrowed from an old Legal Eagle friend who lives there...I'll remember him in my will; everybody is gettin a six pack of Schlitz...gonna be some excited folks over that.
Well, I'll try to make it to the HBHQ depending on how things are working out over at the house.

BJC

HBA Supporter
...found a room in a nice ladies' private residence that has the other rooms booked by EAA ladies..... House full of women.....
Well, I'll try to make it to the HBHQ depending on how things are working out over at the house.
Are you saying that you might spend all of your time and energy at the house?

BJC

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
On the field, Row 513, N81260. Will be teaching gas welding and doing the 8 am at HBHQ. Badge on back of hat says BILLSKI.

Reactions: BJC

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Franklin is gonna do a acrobatic routine in the newly released Kitfox S7 Speedster on Wednesday. Lots of cool stuff happening on Wednesday.
FB_IMG_1500767582031.jpg

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Are you saying that you might spend all of your time and energy at the house?

BJC
Some years back I'm, gonna say about a couple decades, I was in one of the tents eatin breakfast and this lady comes in and sits across and starts talking. She's social and won't be ignored so I gave her a few grunts and nods. That's enough for her, so she starts tellin her story. She's got a Harley independent repair shop in SD I think she said somewhere. Said she could tear down a Harley and build it back up blindfolded like a grunt with his M16 and had a helluva Harley business. Well, that explained a few things I was wonderin about...she had on torn up jeans that were slick and shiny with grease and a camo shirt with the arms cut way out. It was greasy too. And of course a dewrag, huge steel toe boots and the pocketbook on a chain...her hands looked like a pulpwooder's, arms wiry and big veined. And she had more tats than teeth. She was intelligent as hell and knew way more mechanics that I would have thought; made me feel a little bad about myself...yeh that type. But we hit it off pretty good so she keeps tellin me the story. She's here from SD volunteerin in the equipment repair shop keepin all the stuff runnin; said all the men in the shop had taken to cowtowin to her and looked like she had been field promoted to foreman which I didn't doubt. She didn't say the men were happy about it. Well, what she was gettin around to was that the EAA had assigned her a bunk in the old fart volunteer barracks and they didn't like it one bit and there was an uprising, barely short of a riot; they looked at it as an intolerable invasion of their space and were agitated as hell. You can imagine. Said they were threatenin takin it all the way to the top; I figured that meant PP and didn't think the old farts were gonna get much satisfaction there. But she said she wasn't backin down and I didn't doubt it; women's lib was in full swing and I could see her winnin this one. Turned out we were on same sked and she showed up next mornin(and next and next: i started lookin forward to it like Days of Our Lives) with the latest report on the situation. Bout a dozen old farts couldn't take it and had mutinied; yeah went AWOL...left the barracks; went home. She smelled dead meat and turned up the heat...by end of the week she had the barracks all to herself. Well, I dunno but that's what she said.
She did invite me over to her private barracks for a social hour. Now that was scary.

I couldn't help but think of that story when I thought about this upcoming situation that I have to deal with.
I hate uncertainty.

Last edited:

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Turtle is sittin out there in the hangar...loaded up and ready to go. He's eager as a retriever on open day just before shootin time.

Last time I flew that thing to OSH I swore I'd never do that to myself again; that's the trip he got his name on. Wx and wind all the way back...11.2 on the hobbs that day. If it hadn't been for the porch light on the hangar...

Think I'll have another snort.

addaon

Lifetime Supporter
I'll be there this year. Driving in and camping. Is there a particular day that people are meeting, or is this a "most mornings" thing?

I know I've been nonexistent the last couple years, but looking forward to seeing some faces from way back when!

Look for the big guy with a few owls nesting in his beard and you have me (Adam).

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Wednesday morning at 7:30 - 8:00 in front of the HB Headquarters the Buttercup guys are gonna take a group photo. That's right where everyone is meeting so if anyone has Buttercup questions you'll have the whole group to char with, including Earl I think.