• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Orions Cardboard composite structures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berridos

hi everybody

According to respected members in this forum the structure proposed by Orion has several benefits over sandwich-single spar structures. I often think about how such a structure can be produced and see several serious difficulties for cases that deviate from a non tapered straight wing. Every truss element has non linear 3d flanges that are difficult to produce if you wont to avoid huge glue joints.
In my view, the only viable way to produce those trusses is by filling the whole mold with pu foam and then cut this pu-block with rulers into trapeze elements (the have curved flanges), from which i would produce individual truss molds.
Anybody suggests a different approach?

I have several additional questions on this type of structure:
Are these trusses only loaded in tension?

Should the truss spacing be variable according to the pressure distribution over the foil and considering the local convexities of the foil? In that case the trusses would stop beeing straight and in a strongly tapered wings, would have a much larger densitiy of trusses that are discontinous at the wide root and stopped midway to the tip.

Is there some efficient way, with such a structure to build removable wings? I cant imagine how.

I think that calculating such a structure is easier than a traditional one. Am i right?

Orions construction show very beefed up skins and trusses. Doesnt that look overbuilt?truss composite.jpg

Back