Quantcast

Options for Suzuki G13--Complete FWF and less robust assitance

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cheapracer

Log Member
Yes, that's probably a big factor. Also, the variable valve timing on the K Series doesn't offer much in an airplane aside from additional complexity. But, I don't know much about these engines, maybe they are super.
Millions of them screaming (and I mean millions, and I mean screaming) around China no problem. They are available all over the world except America.

I don't fall for the "complexity" line, engines in cars today are just fantastically reliable, far, far more so than the "simple" engines of past decades. No manufacturer has VVT issues in terms of actual mechanical failure.

200,000 ~ 300,000 miles is nothing for an engine these days.

But still, interesting to see the mindsets, clearly myth and lore are absolutely deciding factors, and the reason I was looking at carburetor suppliers this morning ...

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
As you know, perception can be pretty important in selling a product. As is often said: "if you are explaining, you are losing.'

People buy new niche airplane engines that have a very small installed base and depend on one small manufacturer for parts. Rationally, buying an airplane engine based on the K-series is a lot less risky than that from a long-term supportability perspective. There are tons of parts and the world is a pretty small place these days. But the price/value would have to be right.

Last edited:

aeromomentum

The Suzuki K series engines are great and I have worked with one in my shop. Better for an economy car than the G series. But the G series are lighter, shorter stroke, better geometry, simpler, rev better and can be made to safely produce more power so are much better for use in aircraft. We actually looked at the K series before the G series, visited the factory where they were being produced and are able to get them factory direct at a lower cost than the G series. http://aeromomentum.com/reason.html

The reasons for the price difference between the upright and low profile are not only the oil pan, oil pick up, dip stick and intake system but also the mounting ears. Many of these parts are CNC'ed from billet and while not individually that expensive it all adds up. A few of these parts start out as fairly large chunks of aluminum. The mounting ears are Lycoming standard so if the aircraft has a Lycoming standard engine mount our low profile engine will bolt to it and keep the prop on the same center-line.

We have a few mounted to various Sonex models and at least one is flying.

Like the AirTrikes drawings and picture it is absolutely possible to use the Suzuki G series upright in a tractor. We have a few customers that have done this. The distance from the prop center-line to top of the engine is the same or less than on a competitor's Honda based engine even though they use a 3 gear larger offset gearbox. So our lower cost upright engines are absolutely viable in a tractor aircraft.

On some designs our low profile versions can save weight and money since our mounting ears are at the very back and you may not need much or any engine mount. If the firewall is sufficiently strong at the correct points you can just bolt the engine directly to the firewall (with the rubber bushings) saving the weight and cost of the engine mount.

Vassili over at Air Trikes has drawings and photos of a pretty sexy one- or two-seat aerobatic design using an upright Suzuki, so it can certainly be done.

View attachment 91790 View attachment 91791
Air Trikes: Engines and Conversion Kits.

I think many designs for the VWs or small Continentals could be converted without too much trouble by moving from a two-blade prop with the original engine to a smaller, three-blade prop with the Suzuki and possible landing gear lengthened a few inches.
Vassili
What is the top of the cowl offset for a Vertical G13?
1591653841707.png

Matt