Opinions on Wag-Aero's Sport Trainer

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

NX-4L

Coming soon to a lake near me.
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I just bought a "mostly incomplete" Wag-Aero Sport Trainer.

REALLY "mostly incomplete."

Right now it's a just a set of plans, a complete but uncovered empennage, and a black instrument panel with four replica white face cub instruments (ASI, Alt, RPM, Oil T&P) bracketing (top to bottom) a card, black ball compass, and 10/10 "smile."

The only airplane that I have ever flown is an A-65 powered J-3 (actually it is a surplus L-4) on Zenair 1150 straight floats. So I would really appreciate it if answers were confined to the J-3, J-4, J-5, PA-11, derivatives, replicas, and similar aircraft.

The aviation authorities here have simply copied verbatim FAA regulations-- sometimes but not always deleting the acronyms "CAB" and "FAA." Also, I can "temporarily" move a "standard" category aircraft to "experimental" (so I can mount the floats of my choice and legally maintain it) and simply "forget" to ever move it back.

Comm requirements, insurance cost, and fuel type or availability are not issues.

Thank you

TFF

It’s pretty much the same plane. I think there is minor things different but not fit or function. Wag makes PMA parts too so they know Cubs. Personally I would be making a clipped wing L4 with Super Cub tail if I was making one.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
That is a great airplane! I think it sounds fun and the end product if done well can serve for many years of enjoyable flying.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
That said, a clipped 23012 Taylorcraft type wing on that airplane with 0-200 would be a blast too.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
T
Yea. Add the 23012!
Not if you want to do the full-monkey back country STOL thing. The USA airfoil has a well-known but slight edge on the 23 series when it comes to the very bottom end of the speed range. No free lunch, you want a better wing for speed and handling, you gots to give up something.

NX-4L

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It’s pretty much the same plane. I think there is minor things different but not fit or function. Wag makes PMA parts too so they know Cubs. Personally I would be making a clipped wing L4 with Super Cub tail if I was making one.
Thank you,

Would you care to say why you would choose a "clipped wing" and the "Super Cub tail."

One thing I noticed is the left window folds out like the right one, which I like. Wag sells a L-4 supplemental sheet which I've ordered. It "has" to have the big windows and be painted yellow with a lightning bolt ('cause that makes it faster :) ), but I'm open to suggestions.

NX-4L

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Not if you want to do the full-monkey back country STOL thing. The USA airfoil has a well-known but slight edge on the 23 series when it comes to the very bottom end of the speed range. No free lunch, you want a better wing for speed and handling, you gots to give up something.
Thank you,

If I may ask a slightly tangential question.

I only have "experience" with the USA-35. The 23012 is semi-symmetrical and "faster" producing less drag but a more abrupt stall and flare. (Please correct me if my terms are incorrect.) I call this a "negative" undercamber, because it "points" down.

There are "positive" under camber wings too. Like the FC10 on the Pietenpol (a whole bunch were at Broadhead Wisconsin last week). Some owners I spoke to say it has characteristics like a 23012. Which sorta makes sense the air is just going faster under the wing, it doesn't "know" if it is going up or down.

(Curiosity: I am going to build a USA-35.)

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
The supposed sharp stall of the 23xxx series occurs on paper and in the wind tunnel, but in the real world it's pretty benign, as thousands of Taylorcrafts have proved. It has a lower and more constant pitching moment than more cambered airfoils, leading to less trim drag and lighter stick forces at higher AOA. And, of course, less drag overall, which is part of why a T-Craft is so much faster than a Cub.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Would you care to say why you would choose a "clipped wing" and the "Super Cub tail."
More responsive controls, easier to land in wind, especially crosswinds, better roll rate for aerobatics, faster.

Not to mention that it takes less hangar space.

BJC

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
So NX-3... what is your intended use and "most common mission" for this airplane when it's done? Are you flying out of a short strip? Are you flying in heavy crosswinds? Are you interested in aerobatics? Are you flying at high density altitude, or are you flying in a lot of turbulence? Do you need to fly with two heavy people aboard? Are you wanting to haul 4999 unused rounds of 30.06, one used casing, and a dead moose out of a tennis court in the Himalayas?

The answers to these questions will very quickly determine whether the clip-wing, standard wing, 23012 wing, big or small tail is right for you.

Dillpickle

So NX-3... what is your intended use and "most common mission" for this airplane when it's done? Are you flying out of a short strip? Are you flying in heavy crosswinds? Are you interested in aerobatics? Are you flying at high density altitude, or are you flying in a lot of turbulence? Do you need to fly with two heavy people aboard? Are you wanting to haul 4999 unused rounds of 30.06, one used casing, and a dead moose out of a tennis court in the Himalayas?

The answers to these questions will very quickly determine whether the clip-wing, standard wing, 23012 wing, big or small tail is right for you.
Dang VB.... sometimes all them fancy words fall outta your mouth and land kinda purty! This time they're purty AND make sense...😜

NX-4L

HBA Supporter
Log Member

Thank you,

Yes, these questions make perfect sense.

The airplane will be on floats, I'm thinking about paying Wag $55 for their float plans to compare.

My teachers J-3 (L-4) I am seeking to replicate has just the 13/12 US gallon fuselage tank and is on Zenaire 1150 straight floats.

The lake is a bit over four statute miles long, and 10 feet AMSL.

The highest terrain I will have to overfly is less than 500 feet AMSL.

The highest normal year round temperature is in the mid 80s F, the lowest is in the mid 60s F. The hottest months correspond to the most humid being 80% to 100%. (So, "low, semi-hot, and very-humid," but not high.)

I actually weigh just about exactly 170 US pounds and probably won't be flying anyone heavier than 190. My girl is maybe 130 (I dare not ask). So 13 times 6.2 is 80.2, plus 7.5, plus 300 to 360 is 388.1 to 448.1 before baggage (which I imagine would always be at least 20) so 470 useful would be fine. (I only have to worry about actual physics, nobody will ever check.)

Range wise I would mostly be flying in a 80 statute mile by 60 box and the furthest I could fly would be 180 statute miles, but there are multiple marinas where I can purchase additional fuel.

Wag-Aero apparently offers a 26 gallon fuel system that would double the just under 3 hour maximum endurance from the fuselage tank. But I'm told that putting eighty US pounds out on the wings makes the handling a bit less crisp. I won't be making very many long trips, and I can always stop to stretch out and refuel.