Opinions On This Kit

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by IainHol, Apr 16, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 16, 2011 #1

IainHol

IainHol

IainHol

This kit is located close to my house and I spoke to the gentleman today. The aircraft is about 10% and has spent the last 20 years in his heated shop - he states the material shows no age or damage. He just hasnt had the time to work on it.

I like the KR-1 from my research it is an easy aircraft to build and fly - the only downside I see is that it is rather small, but I am not particularly large so I think it will work just fine.

What are your thoughts about this kit and model? THANKS

Rand Robinson KR-1 Kit Plane | eBay

2. Apr 16, 2011 #2

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

For $500 its a steal. Go for it.

Duncan

3. Apr 16, 2011 #3

orion

orion

orion

Duncan is right - if you really are committed to doing this, this looks like a steal.

4. Apr 16, 2011 #4

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

My first kitplane was the KR-2 almost some 20 years ago. I put about 150 hours of build time in it. It’s surprisingly easy to build with wood. Both the KR-1 and KR-2 are amazingly efficient machines. Jeanette Rand and their other help were easy to deal with and in handling your questions.

The tools are simple to work with when dealing with the wood aspects. I didn't get far enough along to work with the fiberglass. I’d pay attention to what glue system he used, and how did he assure accuracy on each batch. I used a weight and beam scale on each batch I made.

I liked my project, but just couldn’t get used to the fact that this thing was being held together by wood and glue. I suppose it’s a proven building method for planes, but I just feel more comfortable with the other traditional ways of building planes, either tube and fabric, or all aluminum, and feel like they will hold up to the elements better.

I wouldn’t let the price be the motivating factor of you getting this kit even if it is a steal. You can get great deals on many kits that have remained dormant for years. Find the one you like the most.

Take a look in Barnstormers for thousands of planes for sale. If you like the KR's, there is a KR2 that just recently got listed that has been in storage for 7 years, and is in Maine. He wants $1,750.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  5. Apr 16, 2011 #5

JMillar

JMillar

JMillar

a) make SURE you'll fit. 2 of me fit fine in a -2 but I'm in the bottom decile for size. Too late to stretch this one.
    b) That's a lot of work already done. You'll save a lot of time.
    c) Also a pretty big savings over buying the materials. You'd spend 3x that anyway, and still have the work ahead of you.
    d) Re-selling. This has already done most of its depreciating. If you are in the vast majority that doesn't finish the build, at least you'll get most of your money back.

6. Apr 19, 2011 #6

Nickathome

Nickathome

Nickathome

I'd be leery of something that has been sitting for 20 years. I'd be concerned that the glue joints may be separating and or the glue itself just not holding up. The kit might be a "steal", but if you find out the glue hasn't held up all these years, then all the work the previous owner has done was essentially for nothing. You'll then have to do it all over or continue to build on an unsafe kit.

Me, I feel like the previous poster in that I can't get around the fact that the plane is merely glued together.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  7. Apr 19, 2011 #7

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

...You mean like a Lancair, Cirrus, Pitts, Edge, Bellanca, GP-4, Baracuda, Falco, etc ?

Age, or more to the point, type of glue is a concern though. The Hiperbipe has wing delamination issues related to the type of glue used all those years ago. I'd make sure the glue used on the aircraft has passed the test of time before you buy. Redoing all the glue joints would quickly erase any savings from this kit.

8. Apr 19, 2011 #8

Kristoffon

Kristoffon

Kristoffon

Merely glued together...
    "In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again..."

9. Apr 20, 2011 #9

JMillar

JMillar

JMillar

Remember that KRs that old are still flying. Just sitting is certainly less hard on the glue joints, so if it's done properly... lets not borrow trouble. Test some joint that's easy to repair, look at all the joints you can see, and then carry on. (please no date-related puns)

10. Apr 21, 2011 #10

parkert51

parkert51

parkert51

I would jump all over it, the KR's are fantastic aircraft and easier to build than many similar aircraft.....