• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Opinion on stabilizer wanted....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadProfessor8138

So....this is a bit of redesign on my RW19 Stork and I would like some opinions.

Roger used L-brackets to attach the horizontal stab to the fuselage of his original just like a TEAM Minimax does.
I have a few issues with that method....
1. A 1/4" bolt going through a 3/4" longeron only leaves 1/2 of material left and only 1/4" on each side of the bolt.
2. 8 bolts & 4 brackets
3. The rear brackets are at an angle and there is no room to run bolts through because the tail on my fuselage is pulled together against each other.

This is a Minimax....you can see the L-brackets holding the stab to the fuselage.
20201226_183253.jpg

I'm thinking of using a different method to attach the stab but I'm not sure if it will be strong enough.
My tail block is extended the full length of the rear bay.
It is glued to the longerons and crossmember in front of it.
Then it is covered top & bottom with 1/8" ply which also runs the full length of the bay and over & under the longerons.
The solid tail block is sandwiched between the ply.
20201223_203820.jpg

What I had in mind was to bolt the stab directly to the tail block and eliminate the L-brackets.
The stab would have 4 bolts and the vertical stab bolts will be drilled all the way through the tail block adding 2 more bolts.
There will be a total of 6 bolts holding the stab on....
Quick & crude drawing :
20201226_175243.jpg

The question is.......
Will the block & ply be strong enough to hold the stab without the bolts through the longerons like the original ?

Kevin

Back