• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Operations on almost Intersecting Runways

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc W

We have a self appointed airport cop at my home airport. He angrily accused a friend of flying an illegal pattern. We have two runways. 3/21 is the paved main runway and 14/32 is a 2600' gravel runway. Runway 3 is the normal runway in use and has a right pattern to avoid annoying the golfers and antelope on the golf course just left of the runway.
1658276359086.png

Our new "airport cop" was working the pattern with a student. My friend made a straight in approach under the Rwy 3 downwind and landed on 32. The "cop" said that is illegal and he should have entered the Rwy 3 pattern to land on 32. I don't know how that would work as a practical matter. I looked in AIM and didn't find anything covering this situation. Does anybody know what the regulations are that cover this situation?

The "cop" also angrily jumped on my hanger partner several weeks ago. Some of the pilots with tundra tires were landing in the dirt short of the beginning of Rwy 3 to minimize wear on the tires. The airport manager did not have a problem with it. The "cop" said that was "illegal". Is it illegal?

I have to think that my time is coming too. I don't know what is stuck in the "cops" craw. I did hear that the "big city" pilots think we are a bunch of cowboys. I heard my airport described as the "wild west". Anyway, I am really curious to know if the "cop" knows what he is talking about.

Back