• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Operating without a transponder still possible post 2020?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
According to the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia ;-), "by 2020 all aircraft owners will be required to have ADS-B Out capabilities when operating in any airspace that currently requires a transponder (airspace classes A, B, and C, and airspace class E at certain altitudes)" in the USA.

Has there been any indication that the ability to operate without a transponder in aircraft without an engine-driven electrical system will change after 2020? Will the ADS-B requirement increase the amount of airspace not normally open to aircraft without a transponder?

I am just thinking about whether or not it really makes sense to plan an aircraft without an engine-driven electrical system in the next few years, or whether there will be so many restrictions on where I can fly that I may as well bite the bullet.

Cheers,

Matthew

Back