Operating without a transponder still possible post 2020?

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by cluttonfred, Apr 27, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 31, 2016 #41

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

What happens when it's interrogated by a TCAS system? Then another? and another?

2. Jul 31, 2016 #42

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I think this is just one aspect of a much larger movement to change aviation. Good or bad, it's all changing.

3. Jul 31, 2016 #43

Pops

Pops

Pops

I can seen in 2020 where ALL flights will have to be approved by the Gov along with a required flight plan with a high user fee for each. We will be there if the ride down the mountain isn't stopped.

4. Jul 31, 2016 #44

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

It sends out a packet of data for each interrogation. I will ask a friend at the Piedmont avionics shop and see if he can give me some hard data. I have built interrogation systems and the average pulse time is in the milliseconds. Another analogy would be a flash on a camera....though the total overall energy consumption is not high, as many run off of a couple of AA cells, the pulse is intense, nut short in energy terms. Cycle time is a concern, and I have no idea what that was in the design specs for an aviation transponder. But with 200w out as I see spec'ed for lots of GA transponders, it would take a considerable number of interrogations to get the consumption rate up, which I believe was what you were asking? I will see if I can get some data from the Piedmont guys. Consumption will increase with a higher rate of interrogations, but by what percentage, I do not know.

Derswede

5. Jul 31, 2016 #45

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I don't see the rate of evolution changing all that much. If one desires to operate in certain classes of airspace, there are corollary equipment and qualification requirements. Post 2020 one will still be able to fly a NORDO airplane coast to coast if they desire. It's just a little different than it was in the '70's, '80's or '90's.

6. Aug 1, 2016 #46

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

ADS-b transmit time is on the order of 500 microseconds. 500 microseconds = 0.0005 seconds

These data packets are transmitted about every 0.5 seconds.

7. Aug 1, 2016 #47

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

So that Trig unit in post 37 transmits Mode S transponder and ADS-B out all in one unit for .34 amp. A medium Lithium battery could run it a few hours.
    That's nifty.
    How much to buy and install?

8. Aug 1, 2016 #48

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

About $3k I think he said. He was the manufacturer, he indicated prices will be dropping as everyone else gets on board. I though it was a great system that weighs practically nothing.

9. Aug 2, 2016 #49

Kevin N

Kevin N

Kevin N

I intend to be a malcontent on this requirement as long as possible. I live in the boondocks and have no desire to mingle beyond that. If I'm still around in 2020 I will let ya'll know how its working for me.

Pops and BBerson like this.