Openvario - open source (sailplane) flight computer project

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by ypsilon, Mar 6, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1

ypsilon

ypsilon

ypsilon

Hi everybody,

I am still pretty new to this forum, but thought that some of you might be interested in my other aviation pet project, which has been gaining some momentum lately.

www.openvario.org

cheers

ypsilon

2. Mar 13, 2016 #2

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Ypsilon, Welcome to the group, a lot of people think Openvario is just for sailplanes, but if you look at it's features & functions it fits a lot of the aircraft being built, including the one I'm starting on soon.

Bill

3. Mar 13, 2016 #3

homebuilderfan

homebuilderfan

homebuilderfan

Hope you have luck and you can reach the final goal.
    Hope also it will be available in the future as a ready to buy item.
    Fabri

4. Mar 13, 2016 #4

henryk

henryk

henryk

-my bekante glider pilot was made something similar
    \vario,speed,polar,wind,overloud,GPS,horison...\ bau cost circa 400 EU\.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNr6hawChgs

5. Mar 14, 2016 #5

ypsilon

ypsilon

ypsilon

Hi Bill,

True. I know at least one person who uses the Openvario with an ultralight. Guess that's the beauty about being "Open". The idea was to build a common platform that would allow many people to contribute (Software/Hardware but also documentation, and equally important mutual help, if something doesn't work). We have now about 50 registered users, but I know some of them have built several ones for their clubs, and there are always those who build but don't register (which is perfectly fine as well). So I guess the number of Openvarios out there is north of 100 already, and indeed slowly people starting to give back. There's still a lot to do, but I think we've made a pretty decent start. If you look at the registered builder's map builders:top [Openvario] , you can see that Openvario is still very much centered around central Europe, but we're starting to make progess in the U.S. and Down Under as well. In fact only recently Bob Kuykendall registered, who is probably known well in this forum with his famous hp24 sailplane project.

If you know people who'd like to build such a thing, then please spread the word. The more we are the faster Openvario will become better.

cheers,

ypsilon

6. Mar 14, 2016 #6

ypsilon

ypsilon

ypsilon

Hi Fabri,
    Openvario is "open" both in terms of license (GPL,CCbySA) as well as scope. So we will never really reach a final goal. It is mature enough already to be used as flight computer, and numerous people have done so last year.
    I think it is also possible to find somebody to build the Openvario for you (google Stefan Langer aka. SteFly). Clearly this will cost more than building it yourself, but then you have a truely open platform to play with (as opposed to most commercial alternatives).

regards,

ypsilon

7. Mar 14, 2016 #7

ypsilon

ypsilon

ypsilon

Hi Henryk,
    This is great. I know that there are several people out there who built similar device. This was the reason for us to found Openvario. The idea was to have a common platform where tinkerers from all over the world can join their forces to build something better than they could just working on there own. Openvario is indeed not only the Flightcomputer project but other projects as well (e.g. a FLARM Antenna).

So if your friend would like to join the platform with his project (or any other avionics related) he is highly welcome to do so, as long as he publishs all required plans/documentation etc. under permissive licenses such as GPL or CCbySA etc.

cheers,

ypsilon

8. Mar 15, 2016 #8

henryk

henryk

henryk

9. Mar 15, 2016 #9

henryk

henryk

henryk

10. May 31, 2016 #10

ElEsido

ElEsido

ElEsido

Henryk, the My_Vario looks very interesting! Will you release more information about it some time?

11. May 31, 2016 #11

henryk

henryk

henryk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVPcxDMz1zw&sns=em

-I am not spetialist... iff you want,I can send you constructors e-mail ...

12. May 31, 2016 #12

ElEsido

ElEsido

ElEsido

Hi Henryk

Thanks for the link. I have read through a google-translation of the Polish thread you have linked above. Very interesting stuff!

I would be glad if you could send me Pitotr's email as a private message here; or if you could ask piotr to post in this forum or on the openvario forum. I think he is up to something that he can truly be proud of.

My particular interest in the My_Vario would be to use it as a signal source for the openvario. It seems that its sensors and processing might be a touch better and faster than what openvario/xcsoar offers. Plus having the electronic vario as a dedicated instrument instead of a part of the xcsoar screen seems like a plus. However I would require to separate the screen from the "brain", as I have no room for a 8cm instrument in my panel.

Best
    ElEsido

13. May 31, 2016 #13

henryk

henryk

henryk

14. Jun 10, 2016 #14

ypsilon

ypsilon

ypsilon

Hi ElEsido,

I don't want to discourage you from using myvario, but I don't think that's the right architecture. You won't get less latency with the setup you've pointed out. I believe that Openvario does a pretty good job already (we have some highly qualified competition pilots using it successfully), but whatever you think is bad or missing can be improved by yourself (We'll help you).

Building an external display for OV is almost trivial. In fact you could use any android device as an external display (maybe 5 lines of code required).

Again: If you think myvario adds value to your setup go ahead, but it most likely makes things unnecessarily complicated.

cheers,

ypsilon