Opener BlackFly

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

davidb

No demo is planned this week.

I think I mixed up SureFly and BlackFly. Was the simulator you flew BlackFly? So it was SureFly that couldn’t handle the wind?

BTW, it sure seems odd that BlackFly won’t demo this week. Surely they could have gotten an exhibition waiver from the FAA so I’m not buying that reason. What’s your take? Is it ready for manned flight?

pictsidhe

It was scheduled for the first public flight which was to be a five foot hover for one minute. They rolled it out after some time while the crowd waited. Finally it was announced the flight was cancelled do to wind. But they spun the blades some.
The wind seemed about 3 mph to me.:ermm:

A little more work to do on it, then...

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
I think I mixed up SureFly and BlackFly. Was the simulator you flew BlackFly? So it was SureFly that couldn’t handle the wind?

BTW, it sure seems odd that BlackFly won’t demo this week. Surely they could have gotten an exhibition waiver from the FAA so I’m not buying that reason. What’s your take? Is it ready for manned flight?

Yes, the simulator was Blackfly. I have no idea why they don't fly it. An ultralight doesn't need any FAA waiver to fly at the ultralight runway. (maybe EAA?)
I got some more info on FAR 103:
An EAA representative told me the FAA does not issue blanket legal rulings about FAR 103. They do issue opinion letters that apply to individuals on a case by case basis.
Second, a representative of The Vertical Flight Society gave a forum and he covered FAR 103 weight limits in detail about Blackfly. I asked about the stall rule and he thought it didn't apply to "Electric VTOL" but wasn't sure. He asked the audience and somebody said it doesn't apply. He said the FAA is trying to get this going and ultralights is just convenient for all this experimenting.
There is a one billion dollar industry of 100 companies set to go on this with certified VTOL.

pictsidhe

It's the operator that must ensure compliance with 103. I think I'll stick to published rules rather than 'thinks' and 'we say so'.

BJC

Supporting Member
Some of what I heard from an Opener employee today:

The BlackFly complies with Part 103.

It has flown in the USA.

They went to the FAA some time ago to open discussions about where it might fit within current or future regulations.

The FAA bureaucrat that they delt with essentially ignored them.

This week, the FAA Administrator was angry with his staff, since he had not been informed of the existance of the BlackFly and its planned public rollout at AirVenture.

The Administrator, with about 20 FAA employees in tow, visited the Opener display at AirVenture. He had lots of questions.

The name was proposed by an employee who is an avid fly fisherman, and who was reminded of the buzzing of black flys when he heard the craft in flight.

The inventors no longer own the company. It has been purchased by an extremely wealthy individual.

They envision multiple missions for it, including search and rescue, military, medivac, construction (displacing helicopters with future, more powerful batteries) and as a personal craft.

They believe that they can be profitable selling them into the personal craft market for somewhere in the $60,000 to $80,000 range.

BJC

Aerowerx

.....The FAA bureaucrat that they delt with essentially ignored them.

This week, the FAA Administrator was angry with his staff, since he had not been informed of the existance of the BlackFly and its planned public rollout at AirVenture......
Having worked for the government for the last 10 years (post office) I can attest to this.

Those in charge are completely clueless as to what is actually going on!

cheapracer

Having worked for the government for the last 10 years (post office) I can attest to this.

Those in charge are completely clueless as to what is actually going on!

When anyone gets a public service 'job for life', the last thing they want to do is risk it in anyway.

"No" is the easy and safe cop out.

henryk

-it is simple methode to make moore comfortable pilot position=flattened transient sphere,
hinged in center,but settle not in center=CG lower then fuselage axle...

-the whole "capsule" can be escape via BRS !