Open cockpit, seaplane, biplane, tandem dream.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
bmcj - as you may be aware, that plane is owned by John 'Snaps' Knapp, a former Regional Director of the SPA (Seaplane Pilots Association). The engine in the 'Super STOL' video is a 65hp Rotax 532 and the plane weighed in at 390lbs on his custom built floats. The 532 was replaced by a 583 and then a 670. Snaps is a fixture at the Vette SPB during Airventure and brought his 670 Avid to OSH for the first time in 2007. He is also the owner of the yellow MicroMong on floats. He bought the plane after it got hit from behind while being trailered, rebuilt it and put it on floats of his own design.
Thanks dholly,

I did indeed know it was Snaps' plane, and knew he also owned the beautiful yellow MM on floats (saw it at OSH). I just wasn't sure which engine he had in the video, but knew that it had to be one of the lighter, lesser powered engines like the 532.

I am also part of the 'Avid clan' with a Mark IV under construction and quite a bit of time flying Dean's prototype N99AF when he was still in the Avid biz.

Bruce :)

BTW... I have a friend named Don Holly, so if you ever catch me calling you "Don", you have my permission to slap me upside my head. :gig:

WonderousMountain

You can do floats on far 103, in fact you can get up to a 30# extension on weight for each float, though there's no stall speed extension.

More lake planes in 103 would be a good thing.

Mountain

revkev6

You can do floats on far 103, in fact you can get up to a 30# extension on weight for each float, though there's no stall speed extension.

More lake planes in 103 would be a good thing.

Mountain
I was not aware of that! belite on floats! hmmm. * fires up google *

ta da! like anything else it's been done!

4833348482_a7ba17c976_z.jpg

Q

qxev

Does this have to remain always a dream for me or are there some kind of plans out there that would hit all these criteria? Basically I've always wanted a plane like the one in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I just want something with an open cockpit that's easy to fly nice and slow that I could tie off at a dock on the river. Biplane is optional but really preferred. Old technology is fine, I don't plan on doing any acrobatics or anything like that, just fly, fish, fly. Any engine is fine, cheaper the better but i'm not going to sacrifice quality for cost, and i'd rather it be more reliable than fast.

This is the dream, who knows how to realize it?

the such interests?
3 places...
240 hp.
$70 000...
it can be constructed for half a year

it is the plane on the basis of UH-18SPW Hoverwing

BWIG Box Wing In Ground - YouTube

Meyaht

Looks like I'm done traveling for work for a while, so I'm resurrecting this thread so it doesn't become archived. Don't want to lose all the good info :)

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Flitzer Variants Fits all your requirements but you would be possibly first builder of the seaplane 2 seat variant.

Lockwood Aircraft - Super Drifter also the Aircam twin engine, meet most of your requirements ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

There are a lot of seaplane/floatplanes but not many come to mind that are open cockpit. The Flitzer just recently appeared on this sight it is a beautiful looking aircraft but by the accounts I am reading takes around 1600 or more hours to build also as a seaplane the wood built structure is going to require a lot of maintenance, there are few remaining original examples of those beautiful wooden seaplanes from 80 odd years ago. The Drifter should take less time to build and in my opinion looks it but it will also take less maintenance, and I have fished from many boats that may not have been as pretty as others, but the fishing was just fine.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like I'm done traveling for work for a while, so I'm resurrecting this thread so it doesn't become archived. Don't want to lose all the good info :)
Don't worry, threads don't get "archived" here... they just sit around and wait for the next necroposting...

It's only single seat, but there is the Mariner:

ma1.jpg

Though supposedly there was a 2 seat monoplane version...

Dana

Riggerrob

Adding a third seat is a major design challenge. Fortunately there is plenty of "prior art" to help with design decisions. Look at some of the barn-storming biplanes that were built during the 1920s and 1930s. Many were built with front cockpits wide enough for a pair of passengers. A few had front cockpits big enough for three or (rarely) 4 passengers.

Group Builder