Once again with the FAA...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
EAA said it, sort of, well after the fact, when I sent them a FAA Form 8050-2 to sign, to establish the chain of ownership. EAA’s lawyer refused to sign it, and even reply, but one of their curators did reply, which confirmed the chain of ownership for the FAA.

I’m surprised with their experience they didn’t know enough to make this kind of thing clear ahead of time.
Actually surprised it’s not a boiler plate part of their contract

I’m surprised with their experience they didn’t know enough to make this kind of thing clear ahead of time.
Actually surprised it’s not a boiler plate part of their contract
Such verbiage may have been when EAA "gifted" her to another museum, and then that museum fell down on flowing down that clause to whomever they sold her to, years later. She came with very little documentation. Both museums sent me photocopies of their files on her after I had rescued her and brought her home. There were no use limitations in any of the documents. I was informed of EAA's original intent, via email, months after she came into my hangar.

varivig

The thief question is really simple;If they make it clear to you before money changes hands they are keeping something then that thing remains theirs.
I thought from the post that the EAA had made it clear that they didn’t want the plane to fly again and I thought from what you said they had told you that before money changed hands.
If they said it afterward that’s different
The EAA or anyone else can take a flying jump. If they did not what the plane to fly again, don't sell it.

skydawg

the FAA is not there for anyone but the airlines (they collect taxes for their infrastructure) and big business like Boeing that have political clout). GA cost them $ and they want it to go away.

I worked on engineering projects for big jets that had significant $ behind them and things got done fast.... mostly because they were paying DERs (essentially their own private FAA). I've been waiting over 2 Years for something that normally takes a few weeks. there is no faa hotline to complain to, and the Administrators office won't even return a voicemail. you cant reach anyone on the phone that can do anything, and need an appointment just to go into a fsdo. I think covid was contrived by the faa to further isolate them from accountability.

if you want faa contact, report yourself for a violation....they will be there immediately to try to take your ticket, but at least someone will be talking to you.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
I worked on engineering projects for big jets that had significant $ behind them and things got done fast.... mostly because they were paying DERs (essentially their own private FAA).
Yep, the big guys have DERs and they produce the answers the big guys need (or, at least an answer).
Now, I wonder if we could all pool our money (through the EAA?) and get our own DER or two?

BJC

Supporting Member
I've been waiting over 2 Years for something that normally takes a few weeks. there is no faa hotline to complain to, and the Administrators office won't even return a voicemail. you cant reach anyone on the phone that can do anything, and need an appointment just to go into a fsdo.
Do you expect the FAA to be different than any other bureaucracy?
Now, I wonder if we could all pool our money (through the EAA?) and get our own DER or two?
Every homebuilder around here has, in the past six or eight years, hired a private DAR to get their homebuilts certified. One is a chapter member who does more than one a week.

BJC

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
Do you expect the FAA to be different than any other bureaucracy?

Every homebuilder around here has, in the past six or eight years, hired a private DAR to get their homebuilts certified. One is a chapter member who does more than one a week.

BJC
It actually seems like they are.
I have been having extensive dealings with the BLM and the state of Alaska DNR the last few weeks they have both been very welcoming and have given me walk in availability . Great specific advice and clearly told me when they didn’t know and made phone calls till either they did know or could send me directly to the person that did know or was in charge.

Bob H

On a humorous note-

I had finished a Zenith 701 in May of 2019 and contacted the local FSDO in Riverside, CA for a FAA inspector to come up to my mountain airport at 7000' for the inspection. I received a call from an FAA guy that he would be coming and bringing another fellow to train him about the inspection process. Both arrived in early July and began the inspection and after 2 hrs of looking and checking, they said the plane appeared ok but would require another visit. Two weeks later they again arrived and spent a couple of hours checking paperwork and a few details on the plane. Said they needed another visit for more confirmation. By this time we were getting to be old friends so I asked why they were stretching out the process and they told me that it was 100F in Riverside and only 75F at Big Bear so they wanted to get away from the heat and visit more. By the 4th inspection, they conceded and signed off the paperwork because the temps at their home were decreasing. At least it was free.