On the topic of commuting

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Farfle, Sep 25, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 1, 2019 #41

Pops

Pops

Pops

C.G. Taylor was a nice man. Sometime in the mid 70's I sat in the shade under a wing and talked to him for an hour or so at OSH.

2. Oct 1, 2019 #42

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    If you do replace the C-172 do not put so much emphasis on the nose wheel requirement. If you own the tail wheel you will learn to fly it, respect it and love it.

3. Oct 1, 2019 #43

TFF

TFF

TFF

No yoke and tail wheels. That does it, no Beech 18 or DC3 for me. I do get, not in a Tailwind.

Nose gear is worth a loss of about 5 mph over tail draggers in the RV and Tailwind worlds. Always trade offs.

4. Oct 1, 2019 #44

Pops

Pops

Pops

Now you went and bust my bubble. :) Skydiving club had the hanger next door to my hanger at I-18 for close to 20 years and had a B-18 and I got to fly it once in a while. I loved that old B-18 and helped maintaining it all of those years. Wish I could afford one and the bill for operating it. Make a nice family airplane. My wife would be able to take everything including the kitchen sink with her when traveling so she would be a happy camper.

Always wanted to get checked out in a DC-3. Darn, I love to many airplanes. I understand when someone ask a man why he had 10 airplanes and his answers was "I can't afford 11 " .

Last I knew that B-18 was in Canada on floats. I could pick it out of other B-18's because it got damaged 2 times and I know a lot of the rivets.

5. Oct 1, 2019 #45

BJC

BJC

BJC

Just after I win the Mega Bucks Lottery, all of you guys can meet me at Oshkosh, and we’ll go for a ride in my Howard 500.

BJC

delta, Pops and Hephaestus like this.
  6. Oct 1, 2019 #46

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

Easy to say, but a Swift has both, is a blast to fly (with a proper engine), and would make a better IFR platform than any of the RVs except the 10 and maybe the 9 & 14.

Having owned/flown both slower and faster a/c, I'd find it really hard to do that 600 mile commute on a regular basis in a 130 mph a/c. Hundred $ hamburger runs are fine in almost any plane, but at 600 miles, an extra 50-60 mph cruise speed really makes a difference.

Charlie
    ~200 hrs in a 200HP Swift (VFR) & about 800 in various RVs (also VFR)

7. Oct 1, 2019 #47

BJC

BJC

BJC

Anyone looking for a Swift project (with sticks, Cont. IO-360, aux. fuel tanks) PM me.

BJC