• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

On the topic of commuting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farfle

Hello all, After the build of my first aircraft (Belite pt 103), and the completion of my pilots license and now ownership of a cessna 172M, I have found myself in an employment position where flying back and forth to work a few times a month is a very real possibility.

The flight is from the Central Oregon area to the LA area. I have successfully done it in two hops with the cessna, but it is a looong 6.5 hours and 650 miles in the buzz box. Add a stiff headwind and it very easily becomes a morning-to-night adventure with two fuel stops. Being a VFR pilot, my worry is that over the span of a day, the weather can change a significant amount, and being able to make the run in one hop to potentially be "on top" for the middle portion would make flying the route a little less stressful.

My question to you guys is, what experimental aircraft are out there in the one to two seat range that wouldn't break the bank on a build, and would shave that trip down to a more manageable 4-5 hours, and hopefully be able to do it in one hop.

Something like the RV-3 is attractive, but the taildragger-only is a concern. My taildragger flying is fairly limited, and I dont want the extra risk associated with the sometimes large crosswinds that appear in central oregon. A solid crosswind performer would be a plus.

For weight and space concerns, I am 6'3" 230, and cargo would be max one hefty backpack.

Back