Oldest aviation rookie, reporting for duty.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Roanin, Mar 22, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 22, 2017 #1

Roanin

Roanin

Roanin

I have always been amazed at aviation, who hasn't?. Although I have lived within 2 miles of an airbase for the past 30 years, I have hardly given aviation a passing thought as far as personal interest goes. Suddenly, I discover (or more accurately, take the time to read), about ultralite flying, and I believe that there may be a chance that I can get involved in a hobby that is challenging and exiting. Took a long hard look at this site before joining, and I am grateful for the fact that there appears to be no drama or any other shenanigans so abundant in other forum sites. Therefore, please treat me like 4 year old, when it comes to my level of experience.
    My background was in Mechanical engineering, which I had the good fortune to have learned at the School of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (REME).
    My intentions are to get more involved in our local flying community, learn as much as I can, get some professional (CFI) hours in, and ultimately own a two-seater, so that my wife and I can enjoy the thrill of travel, from a different perspective other than in our motorhome!. I am near to retirement age, and it is time for me to start "living the dream". Looking forward to this new chapter in my life, and hope to actually meet and enjoy the company of like-minded people.

2. Mar 22, 2017 #2

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! Ultralights are great fun, but by definition are single seat only. Two seaters, even if "ultralight like", are light-sport aircraft, with a different set of rules.

Oops, sorry, didn't see you're in Canada, yes, as Matthew said below your ultralights can be two seat, what I said above only applies to the US rules.

Dana

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  3. Mar 22, 2017 #3

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Actually, since the OP is in Canada, ultralight means something different in his neck of the woods. Short version is that there are both basic and advanced ultralight categories so the term goes all the way up to what is called a light sport aircraft in the USA. They guys should be able to clarify things: https://upac.ca/faq/

And welcome Roanin, and don't feel bad. I've been kicking around aviation for about 25 years, soloed 23 years ago, but still haven't finished my private license and haven't built any airplanes yet. I did get a European microlight license and have build a few boats. ;-)

4. Mar 22, 2017 #4

tspear

tspear

tspear

Welcome to the fold. Good luck,

Tim

Roanin likes this.
  5. Mar 23, 2017 #5

Roanin

Roanin

Roanin

Thank you for the link Mathew. Indeed, certain things are different up here. Mostly though, Canada tends to follow the US in many areas, but usually with some minor tweaks, to make it "uniquely" their own!. We are in such a large geographical region, and that, combined with a sparse population means that there are few training establishments one can utilize, unless a lot of travel is on the cards. Currently I am trying to locate any local pilots who can shoot the breeze with me on the subject, or if I get really lucky, might get an intro flight. Who knows, I may not have what it takes to be 10 feet off the ground, never mind 5000!

6. Mar 23, 2017 #6

Roanin

Roanin

Roanin

Thanks Dana, Although we can have two seater flying here, one must have the appropriate training and qualifications in order to have someone occupy that second seat. At least that's the way I am interpreting the regs. Don't mind bimbling around the skies on my own at all, but would really love to share the experience with Mama. Don't know if she will even entertain the notion though.

7. Mar 23, 2017 #7

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Welcome aboard, Roanin. Have been to Moose Jaw - does the RCAF still maintain a base there?
    Bravo for getting into flying! Age is not a deterrant, though some sence is very necessary. Do take lessons!
    Also get up with as many flyers as you are able. Local ones are best - you'd be suprized how many tales-per-gallon (of coffee) one can get.
    PM me if you wish to chat, though I am at some distance.
    Percy in SE Bama

8. Mar 23, 2017 #8

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne

Hey Roanin,
    Welcome to HBA! You might try connecting with your "local" EAA chapter which is in Regina.

EAA 154
    Regina, SK
    President: Ron Wood
    Meetings: Contact President various
    various
    Regina, SK

That's a decent drive but it could pay dividends as breaking into aviation can be a "who you know" endeavor and here in the USA the EAA Chapters are a very good way to do that. The culture of the Chapters varies a lot but it is certainly something you should consider. PM me if you'd like more info - I run one in the Chicago area.

Other than that I'd try whichever association covers the type of plane you like - there is almost always one of those and a membership will likely have a magazine and a way to find events etc. A good example of this is the USPPA, which covers Powered Parachutes - you need something for your type of plane.

Finally - hanging out at the local airport is great - find the airport bums (they are there somewhere, trust me) and befriend them. They look scary but most don't bite (or if they do it's not big deal since they have lost all their teeth!)

9. Mar 23, 2017 #9

don january

don january

don january

Welcome Roanin to HBA. I look real scary and have lost my teeth. :grin: but not too far away from the Canadian border. I suggest looking into the Fisher fly fleet they have some good choices I think, and if you paint your wife's name on the side of your plane it helps with her pride.

Rockiedog2 and Wayne like this.
  10. Jun 14, 2017 #10

Roanin

Roanin

Roanin

Yes Percy, 15 Wing RCAF is currently a NATO flight training center. Mostly out-sourced to the infamous "Bombardier" tumor, which owes it's existence mostly to the Canadian tax-payer. Also home of the RCAF's very own "Snowbirds" #2 demonstration Squadron. Used to be a great place when I was attached in my army days, but has dwindled to a mere shadow of what it used to be (military-wise that is). Thank you for your kind words, as well as to all you other guys who have made me feel welcome.

11. Jun 15, 2017 #11

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Sad to hear that RCAF Moose Jaw has been down sized. I aver that Americans have the best neighbor in the world on their northern border.
    And did you ever state what your age as oldest rookie was? No spring chicken myself!

Percy in SE Bama, USA