Quantcast

Old model building magazines online

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

billyvray

You guys may just end up hating me for this. I stumbled onto an online archive site for old model building magazines. The collection is very extensive, and ranges from full-size aircraft down to ultra lightweight free flight. I have already downloaded several and have spent more time than I should browsing, but there are so many interesting articles and designs that one does not see much of anymore.

https://rclibrary.co.uk/index.asp

TFF

I was looking at the good old RCMs from my era. A couple of weeks ago. Still build from their plans.

TFF

Grid Leaks are or were available on another site. I found them with google.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I go back to Grid Leaks days:ermm:
Same here. I scratch built my first RC equipment. 5 watt CW transmitter in a large ground base box and plate voltage from an 6 volt power supply from an auto radio and powered by a 6 volt car battery and using a 9' antenna. The good old days :)

Bill-Higdon

Same here. I scratch built my first RC equipment. 5 watt CW transmitter in a large ground base box and plate voltage from an 6 volt power supply from an auto radio and powered by a 6 volt car battery and using a 9' antenna. The good old days :)
Sounds way too familiar my transmitter was such a lash up, my receive was a Controlaire 5, can't remember what brand of escapement I used at first. I went to an escapement that gave you left, up, right, down, then"big time with Galloping Ghost.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I came in a bit later, when "proportional" was still sort of new but already all you saw at the field. But my Dad's friend still had a basement full of old reed and escapement stuff. Dad bought the Howard McEntee books (which I still have), already out of date but as an 11 year old I devoured them, learning all about obsolete stuff like reeds, escapements, pulse, GG, etc. Our first radio was a 2 channel Citizen-Ship, with the big red linear rack servos.

Many happy memories of sitting in the basement building Carl Goldberg stick and tissue rubber ships while Dad worked on his first few R/Cs.

I liked Flying Models the best because not only was it an east coast local magazine, they never chopped articles up, no "continued on page 87" stuff.

FritzW

Log Member
Sometime in the middle of the night last night, while I was looking through my 300th set of old model airplane planes (#*%@& billyvray) I ran across a "Celluloid Air Baffle". Does anybody know what this did?

Air Baffle.jpg

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Sounds way too familiar my transmitter was such a lash up, my receive was a Controlaire 5, can't remember what brand of escapement I used at first. I went to an escapement that gave you left, up, right, down, then"big time with Galloping Ghost.
First RC in 1958 with a Debolt Livewire Trainer with a .15 engine. Simple escapement. Quit counting after 3K flights and 3 rebuilds. Then compound escapement, then pulse rudder with a Mighty Mite electric motor on the pulse rudder. Then GG, then 6 channel reeds, then 10 channel reeds. Then scratch built the Digtrio-3 proportional from a article fro RCM and then added the 4 channel. I still have it.
My last kit was when the CG Falcon 56 first came out in a kit. Always designed my own since then. I did some work for Carl Goldberg back before he came out with the retract LG's. Tested the retracts for him and wrote the installation manual. Nice man.

Picture of my Scratch Built Digtrio-4. Homemade single stick assembly with a twist knob for rudder. Wife's plastic hair curler pins for trim tabs. Throttle on right side.

Great hobby.

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts