• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Old guy with lifelong interest in ultralights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,

I am here for one reason: I have always had a nagging interest in ultralights but...a horrible "almost happened to me" incident during an evac after a 7.4 earthquake in Costa Rica has kept me from it. (I should say I am a Minnesotan but was down there working on a project and the quake hit and destroyed the lodge I was staying at.)

All that aside, I flew backseat as a photographer in the Navy (basically an aerial photog but flying in jets was the best part of it) and I loved flying. After you get out of the Navy, you realize that you were getting paid to experience some of the best/most fun things a human can do and that it will really really tough to duplicate them in the outside world. ;)

So, adding that all together, you now have an older guy that still misses flying, even though Costa Rica scared the living behoozies outta me, and financially, if I get back into flying on any level, I know in my heart that ultralights are the only way I can afford to fly again.

So...here I am, interest in hand and reading other peoples experiences can be a very good education. For free. :)

Back