Old Crow's Le Pelican restoration

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by oldcrow, Nov 20, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 20, 2019 #1

oldcrow

oldcrow

oldcrow

Hello all,
    If some of you didn't know, I was gifted my Le Pelican in October, from Percy.
    Here are a couple of pics with her loaded on the trailer.

lp1.jpg
    lp2.jpg

So after a 300 mile trip back home, I hung the wings up in the shop.

IMG_0833.JPG

The rudder just needed cleaning and primed.

IMG_0831.JPG

I started on tearing the fuse. down, as all the nuts and bolts were a bit rusty. I then separated the parts into two buckets - reusable and parts to be remade. Show is the bucket of parts to be remade. ( the whole fuse. could fit in a 5 gallon bucket, just thought that was funny having a plane in a bucket)

IMG_0835.JPG

There was "technically" nothing wrong with these parts. It was just that the original builder drilled the rivet holes all crooked and I am to OCD to let that pass. (if you look closely at the 2 primed tubes you can see what I mean)

Here are some of the parts that have been primed and painted.

IMG_0832.JPG IMG_0834.JPG

As I have removed each part, I have measured it and I am in the process of putting each part in CAD.
    Like so
    F-100.jpg

This way, if i ever need to make a new part I can print out the responding sheet. I will also make a construction manual to illustrate how each part is fitted.

Aerowerx, WBNH, delta and 7 others like this.
  2. Nov 25, 2019 #2

oldcrow

oldcrow

oldcrow

Did a little on the Pelican this weekend. Went to Aircraft Spruce to pick up some nuts and bolts, and now have almost half the fuse put back together. (pics to follow soon)
    Also did a little CAD drawing.

Wing mounting bracket
    F-526 X4.jpg

wing mount bracket spacer

F-727 X4.jpg

attached to F-100

F-100, F-727, F-526.jpg

as i progress with the CAD files, I will put each section (fuse, rudder, wings....) in their own pdf files for anyone who wishes to down load for information purposes only.

3. Dec 2, 2019 #3

oldcrow

oldcrow

oldcrow

Here is how far along I am, until after Christmas. With the exception of working on the CAD files.
    This is about 1/3 of the frame complete.

IMG_0838.JPG

Hanging from the rafters makes for easy work. As of this weekend I have about 30 parts drawn up on CAD. As soon as I get the fuse section done I will release a file for any one who wishes.