old ADF install

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

You need the radio. Aircraft salvage yards and some avionics shops might have something. Harder part is if it doesn’t work. No one will fix that stuff anymore. Not economical.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would think you need a receiver / tuner as well as an antenna, that looks like just an indicator. But with NDBs being decommisioned, about all you could use it for is to listen to AM broadcast stations...

Pops

Log Member
I promised myself I would never do a NDB approach in instrument conditions. Just listen to AM radio. You know what I'm talking about if you every had to fly outbound and do a procedure turn and fly back inbound in a strong crosswind.

Love ADF. Stone age and reliable. On my IFR checkride I did a 4 lap ADF hold in a stiff cross wind followed by a ADF non precision approach. I found it easier then VOR. Ahh, the good old days.

Pops

Log Member
Love ADF. Stone age and reliable. On my IFR checkride I did a 4 lap ADF hold in a stiff cross wind followed by a ADF non precision approach. I found it easier then VOR. Ahh, the good old days.
On my check ride I had to hold in a 3 lap hold at a LOM ,with a 35 mph crosswind and then the approach. I found it very hard. VOR's much easier for me. Old instructor of mine used to do the A-N ranges. NO WAY.

djmcfall

Mark, I think you would be better off just buying an complete old Bendix or Narco ADF with indicator, tray, harness, cables and antenna. They will have two antennas, a sense antenna (the wire that runs from the cabin roof to the tail), and a loop antenna (about 8"x10" patch that mounts on the belly). If you make it to Sun and Fun, Air-venture, Arlington or other "Fly Market" you can pick the entire set up for about $100 or less, just make sure they guarantee it is not DOA. You can also list a wanted to buy ad on Barnstormers, but watch out, lots of old junk out there. If you just want the directional finding capability you wont need the wire sense antenna, but if you just want to listen to the AM broadcast band for entertainment, and low frequency weather broadcast, you don't need the loop antenna. But I say if you are going to the trouble to install it, do it so you can use the directional finding capability. These are still highly in use in Alaska, and the bush pilots would rather have an ADF than a VOR. VORTACs are far between but every small village has an AM radio station you can home in to.

Pops

Log Member
Cessna had a 400 series of radios that had double ADF. It was a good radio.

Pops

Log Member
That is the first time I have ever heard Cessna radios as being good. I always thought they worked OK but hanger talk was that they were junk. :)

Same here, I have used some of the 400 series radios in different airplanes I have flown, but the dual ADF was a good radio. Old friend of mine had one in his C-172 for many years.

TFF

I think what the point of this is not for really an ADF but to use these old instruments for the right look for the vintage plane he wants to build. They are not the right vintage but they look cool.

The only way to get any of this is to go to Wentworth or Sarasota Avionics or the airshows. Maybe some A&P school or hit every old guy at every airport within a 100 miles. Old avionics that works is rare. The radio that goes along with it weighs ten pounds.

Gauges may be easy to collect when wanting to build a plane, but they are the least important acquisitions. One of the last things required to build a plane so having money tied up in something that you cant use right away slows a project down. Money can actually be spent on metal or wood or paint or something else to get to the point of needing instruments. Also buying the basic required instruments is smart if you just have to. Why try to get a radar to work when you need an altimeter or airspeed Indicator? It’s a big elephant to eat building a homebuilt airplane. Trying to eat the cake first has nothing to do with eating the elephant which is all that counts.

Dan Thomas

Old avionics that works is rare. The radio that goes along with it weighs ten pounds.
The Cessna 300 radios were heavy. That KR-86 doesn't weigh more than two or three pounds, indicator and all. The antenna would be another pound or two.

Mark Thompson

I think what the point of this is not for really an ADF but to use these old instruments for the right look for the vintage plane he wants to build. They are not the right vintage but they look cool.

The only way to get any of this is to go to Wentworth or Sarasota Avionics or the airshows. Maybe some A&P school or hit every old guy at every airport within a 100 miles. Old avionics that works is rare. The radio that goes along with it weighs ten pounds.

Gauges may be easy to collect when wanting to build a plane, but they are the least important acquisitions. One of the last things required to build a plane so having money tied up in something that you cant use right away slows a project down. Money can actually be spent on metal or wood or paint or something else to get to the point of needing instruments. Also buying the basic required instruments is smart if you just have to. Why try to get a radar to work when you need an altimeter or airspeed Indicator? It’s a big elephant to eat building a homebuilt airplane. Trying to eat the cake first has nothing to do with eating the elephant which is all that counts.
Thank you for you input. that is exactly one reason i wanted to check on get this ADF instrument It was old enouph to look good in my plane. But still need it to work for AM radio tracking.