• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

OK, reality caught up with me. I need an ultralight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoore

So I ran the numbers over and over and over and...

I can't afford a "real plane" at this point in my life. I might be able to build one but I couldn't very well fly it after laying out all that money. After soul searching I don't even know if I have the wherewithal to complete one. I can build models, I can modify cars... can I invest 1200+ (3000+ hours for the Bearhawk) in a project where I don't get any immediate benefit besides the joy of building? I don't know.

I've decided I want to get in the air quickly (yeah, right!) and test my resolve to build. That leads me to an ultralight... besides the only person I can then kill is myself, right? That simple fact is a huge load off the old shoulders.

I've been looking around for a couple weeks and the Legal Eagle seems to percolate to the top of the list:
  • Welded Fuselage, tube-n-rag just like the Bearhawk I'm lusting after.
  • Plans built. This is required in my world. Paper to 3D, all me.
  • "better half" vw engine, 1/2 VW is inexpensive and has four stroke reliability.
  • It looks and sounds like a real airplane.
  • Direct drive. Simple, baby.
  • Multiple examples flying on YouTube.
  • Very active email list.
Anyone have one? Anyone have a friend that has one? Does it really fly like a slow cub?

Anyone have plans for a "better half" VW? Sane? What's the big difference between that and a Hummel engine?

Back