• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Oil Analysis - Do you do one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daleandee

Just a curious question for the group. Admittedly I just begun to do this both for what can be learned and confirm what I believe I know about my engine so far.

I've always monitored the engine using what may be considered "old school" methods.

1) Change the oil & filter at 25-30 hours. Note the the condition of the oil. How dirty is it? Does it have that overdone/over used odor to it? How does it feel between your fingers?

2) Check the magnetic drain plug for particles. True that not all metals are magnetic but this is still an indicator I use.

3) Open the filter and search the pleats for particles. BTW ... I recently learned a cheap, quick & dirty way to open an oil filter if you don't have the proper tool:

4) Hot idle oil pressure. This is a great indicator of wear. Try to monitor at the same oil temp & engine RPM before shut down after a flight.

5) Listen to the engine and get in tune with it. Most engines will give you some warning before serious trouble starts if you listen carefully.

These methods I've used so far seem to be working as planned as the first analysis came back "Normal." But using analysis could be a bacon saver as I recently read a story where an owner discovered by oil analysis that his cam gear was failing and would have shortly failed completely. So the small cost seems to be well worth it. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Back