• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Odd sized reamer required for rudder/brake pedals???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdus

So I did my first welding job—rudder pedals and brake pedals for my Super Baby Great Lakes. Turned our pretty good.

Then, yesterday, a nice new 3/4" reamer came in the mail from Grizzly. I reamed out the 7/8" tube of the brake pedals and slid them right onto the rudder pedals. Perfect fit. NOT! Turns out the 3/4" tube of the rudder pedal is .753". That is clearly greater than the dimension to which the reamer reamed out the brake pedals. How do I know this? Because I ruined one brake pedal trying to make it fit (it rattles around now), and the other brake pedal and the rudder pedal and a third piece of tubing are almost unbelievable stuck together. Seriously. Shockingly stuck. The garage has been completely destroyed by F-bombs.

I'm ready to throw the stuck rudder pedal and brake pedal in the garbage (heat doesn't help), and I'm going to have to cut the tube off the other brake pedal and weld a new one on.

Now to my question: once I've fixed or rebuilt the components that I've either ruined or gotten impossibly stuck, how the hell do I ream out the brake pedals to make them fit the rudder pedals? Not really interested in spending a couple hundred bucks for an adjustable reamer if I can avoid it.

What a disappointment this has turned out to be.

Thanks,
Jay

Back