• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Odd questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanislavz

Now, i am actively reading forum from back to now, seeing some invaluable info / trying to gain more knowledge. 99 % of mine already asked question was answered before on HBA. But some question - was not. Or not to level, which i would like.

1. Laminar/turbulent airfoils. Fabric wing should be used with turbulent airfoil, laminar should be used only with rigid skin wings and not used when you have to many insects/ rain / debris etc. And laminar airfoil have to be build with high geometric accuracy.

But - can it be explained in number ? ie - to achieve laminar flow, nose section should be build with 0.1% geometric accuracy, and surface finished to high gloss ? Deflections due to wing load less than 0.03% ? And - where all have to be very accure (ie nose), and where all should be just ok (ie bottom)

2. Rutan / Long ez etc wing connecting using "bolts"

upload_2020-1-6_19-9-19.png

I can understand "metal thinking" in some composite builds, using metal like connector to connect wing.

Most factory builds are using "central box / glider box" to connect wings. Which looks to be lighter and stronger (Closed shape/vs open shape). Ct wing mount is below :

upload_2020-1-6_19-19-57.png

And the question is - do Rutan way was chosen for easier life of one off builders ?

3. Long ez have fuel in tanks placed in central wing station. But wings are build as foam cored using PS foam..

Which according to forum knowledge - have to be spaced as far as possible. Is it ok solution ?

Thanks !

Back