• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

O-200 Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpd

I have been fighting with an O-200 that is suffering from a power loss at full throttle for over a year now. Thanks to falling compressions I installed new cylinders over the winter and now that the flying season is here again I would like to finally sort out the power loss once and for all.

The problem is.....As I advance the throttle to full open the static rpm peaks at 2300 with 1/2" of throttle travel left, if I continue advancing the throttle the engine becomes rough and the rpm drops down to 2200. leaving the throttle full in, I then pull the mixture lean and with the mixture knob about halfway out the rpm comes up to 2500 and the engine smooths out. Sounds like its going rich as the butterfly valve approaches full open?

In the air in level flight the engine is smooth with the throttle full open and easily makes redline rpm however as soon as I pitch up into a climb she starts chugging along at 2300rpm and either backing off the throttle 1/2" or drasticly leaning the mixture brings the rpm back up to 2400.

The carb is an MA3 with the 1 piece venturi and pepperbox nozzle. I have torn the carb down twice, replaced every gasket, seal, and o ring. I installed the new blue floats and reset the float level. the primer doesnt leak, the accellerator pump doesnt leak. there dont seem to be any induction leaks. the carb heat box and seals are in good condition, the flapper has full travel. the spark plugs look normal.

I am really starting to yank my hair out over this and I would appreciate and insite you guys might have.

Chris

Back