O-100-- interesting new engine

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

addicted2climbing

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The Currie Wots pre-war were built light and powered by 37 hp JAP flat twins and some recently discovered cine film of a post-war example with that engine demonstrated a remarkable performance. Harald Penrose flew his 'Airymouse' with that motor for several years before it was equipped with a bigger engine. Most commonly these use an A-65 or Walter Mikron.

But one small biplane which would be an ideal subject for the Pegasus, as VB states, is the Flitzer and the smallest and potentially lightest of the family is the Goblin. I attach a recent GA of a projected example, parts of which have been stored for many years, to be fitted with an existing Z-1M Meteor tailplane, ply-skinned and strut-braced from below to accommodate the all-flying rudder. The tailplane would actually be cantilever, but braced to protect it from damage by hangar gorillas due to the relatively small mounting bolt footprint of the Flitzer stab. Intended motor is an a1834cc VW at the stage. Two others are under construction for a big-bore VW and a Verner 5S.
View attachment 120468
Hello Flitzerpilot,

Yes I nearly built a Flitzer years ago, but life got in the way and I went in other directions as I am not a wood worker. Anyhow, VB has prodded me off an on recently about a Tube and Gusset version of the Goblin similar to a Baslee or Graham Lee version. I sell plans for the Lil Bitts biplane and the rough wing structure could all be done similarly. I have an Avid CNC router on order for project such as this but sadly it wont arrive until April. Avid is crazy busy right now. In the meantime I am setting up the hangar to be ready once everything arrives. Also have a Series 3 Tormach PC1100 waiting to be set up.

flitzerpilot

Hi Addict! Do you have Flitzer plans or more partcuarly Goblin plans? If not, I can send you the latter to your personal email address, gratis.

There are a couple of changes to the plans, one of which is the elevation of the upper rudder hinge position to better accommodate side loading forces. Also there is a simplified single spar tailplane variation - not associated with the recent Meteor tail adaptation. It's all adaptable to aluminium tube fabrication. Kind regards, Lynn

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Fear not Lynn, I have a set of original Z-21 plans (that I purchased from Matthew on this site), and the very first second that addicted2climbing wants to build one, or work with you on a tube/gusset version... I will burst through the door of his hangar and the plans will be in his hands.

I understand that the Goblin is not exactly the same as the stock Z-21, but seeing the Z-21 plans will certainly set the hook rather firmly in his gills :)

flitzerpilot

Salute to you, VB! Yes the Goblin is only of 16'10" wingspan with a length of about 13', depending on engine choice, so it's a minimalist Flitzer and the baby of the family I am still cogitating on how to proceed with the tailplane options. The Meteor tail I have is rather heavy in Douglas fir and will be heavier still if ply-skinned to 'cantilever it'. I do have the Flitzer-Laird LC-1W tail group (see my avatar icon) completed with hinges and horns and I just had a thought today that I could use the Laird elevator at 14" chord and build a light weight semi-cantilever tailplane to match, possibly at 13" chord which would restore the preferred tail arm. The Laird tail tapers in thickness span-wise, to the tips, so the 'new' Goblin stab would also taper to match, but would otherwise be very similar to the original Goblin stab in planform and with the same span. This could be a particularly elegant solution, especially as I have taken pains to make the rudder as light as possible.

I did not want to spoil the ship by having to extend the engine mount to cope with a heavy tailplane. :)

addicted2climbing

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Hi Addict! Do you have Flitzer plans or more partcuarly Goblin plans? If not, I can send you the latter to your personal email address, gratis.

There are a couple of changes to the plans, one of which is the elevation of the upper rudder hinge position to better accommodate side loading forces. Also there is a simplified single spar tailplane variation - not associated with the recent Meteor tail adaptation. It's all adaptable to aluminium tube fabrication. Kind regards, Lynn
Hello Flitzerpilot,

Sorry about my delayed response. I got a call mid day yesterday saying my kid was sick and come pick him up at daycare so only worked half the day. Anyhow thank you so much for your gracious offer and I will send you a PM now with my contact info.

Take care,

Marc

Mike von S.

HBA Supporter
The Currie Wots pre-war were built light and powered by 37 hp JAP flat twins and some recently discovered cine film of a post-war example with that engine demonstrated a remarkable performance. Harald Penrose flew his 'Airymouse' with that motor for several years before it was equipped with a bigger engine. Most commonly these use an A-65 or Walter Mikron.

But one small biplane which would be an ideal subject for the Pegasus, as VB states, is the Flitzer and the smallest and potentially lightest of the family is the Goblin. I attach a recent GA of a projected example, parts of which have been stored for many years, to be fitted with an existing Z-1M Meteor tailplane, ply-skinned and strut-braced from below to accommodate the all-flying rudder. The tailplane would actually be cantilever, but braced to protect it from damage by hangar gorillas due to the relatively small mounting bolt footprint of the Flitzer stab. Intended motor is an a1834cc VW at the stage. Two others are under construction for a big-bore VW and a Verner 5S.
View attachment 120468
As Lynn of course knows, I am the American builder of a Flitzer Goblin, currently slated for a flywheel-forward 2110 VW. However, my preference (indeed, my plan) was to mount the DP-100. I spoke to Pete about this several times, including just a few weeks before he passed. Sad. I would love to see his little, flat four-stroke resuscitated.