O-100-- interesting new engine

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Two Cont-0-200 cylinder somehow appeared in my workshop a few weeks ago along with the rocker arms and shafts.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
This is very painful to write, but it needs to be done.

My good friend Pete Plumb passed away a couple of weeks ago. He had a heart attack during his morning walk at the airport.

The stresses of trying to run two or three aviation businesses had damaged his heart and given him a near-death experience several months ago, he had gone in for heart surgery, stents, bypass, etc. and come out of it OK. He had recovered with a reasonably clean bill of health, and after the prescribed rest and recuperation he had gone back to work building wood wings, finalizing the design of the Cracker Jack 2, and continuing the development and testing of the O-100 engine as described in this thread.

But apparently the stresses of running these ventures, and desperately trying to complete the O-100 project and get to market with a truly world class engine that brought together the best of the old and the new, was too much for his heart.

I have been in touch with Pete's closest associate and Pete's family. They asked me to not make any public announcements for a short time, and I have respected that wish. This evening I asked the family for permission to let the HBA group know about his passing, and they permitted me to do so.

The family DOES NOT want to have to deal with inquiries about the engine; they have asked me to be the gatekeeper for that, and for me to absorb/filter/manage any and all inquiries about the engine. So please, at the request of a grieving family please do not contact them about the O-100 at this time.

What I CAN say is that the O-100 engine is hopefully NOT going to disappear. There is interest by Pete's family to have the engine development finished and brought to market. They do retain and will aggressively defend the intellectual property, design rights, all parts, tooling, parts manufacturing relationships, etc. etc. None of the existing engine parts or components are in any danger of being lost, scrapped, stolen, or otherwise scattered.

When the time is right for the family, I will facilitate and assist them in discussions about how, when, and with who to proceed with the engine project.

The only thing I can promise everyone on this HBA forum is that like most of you I want to see the engine succeed, and I will do my part in pushing it toward that outcome. I'll be glad to answer questions that have not been answered in this post already.

Also, although I'm not aware of any dates or plans at this point, it is the family's intent to eventually have a celebration of life and memorial event for family and friends. If and when I hear about that, I will post it here.

Wow what a loss. His first crackerjack mesmurised me as a kid I was looking forward to 2.0. My few direct interactions with him he exuded a stoic integrity traits I like to see. When doing business with someone like Pete Contracts are unesessary. I wish you well in assisting the family and being a catalyst to move Pete's O-100 dream forward.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
So sorry for the loss. Pray for comfort for the family. It's never easy to lose your loved ones.

Reactions: 103

blane.c

HBA Supporter
This is very painful to write, but it needs to be done.

My good friend Pete Plumb passed away a couple of weeks ago. He had a heart attack during his morning walk at the airport.

The stresses of trying to run two or three aviation businesses had damaged his heart and given him a near-death experience several months ago, he had gone in for heart surgery, stents, bypass, etc. and come out of it OK. He had recovered with a reasonably clean bill of health, and after the prescribed rest and recuperation he had gone back to work building wood wings, finalizing the design of the Cracker Jack 2, and continuing the development and testing of the O-100 engine as described in this thread.

But apparently the stresses of running these ventures, and desperately trying to complete the O-100 project and get to market with a truly world class engine that brought together the best of the old and the new, was too much for his heart.

I have been in touch with Pete's closest associate and Pete's family. They asked me to not make any public announcements for a short time, and I have respected that wish. This evening I asked the family for permission to let the HBA group know about his passing, and they permitted me to do so.

The family DOES NOT want to have to deal with inquiries about the engine; they have asked me to be the gatekeeper for that, and for me to absorb/filter/manage any and all inquiries about the engine. So please, at the request of a grieving family please do not contact them about the O-100 at this time.

What I CAN say is that the O-100 engine is hopefully NOT going to disappear. There is interest by Pete's family to have the engine development finished and brought to market. They do retain and will aggressively defend the intellectual property, design rights, all parts, tooling, parts manufacturing relationships, etc. etc. None of the existing engine parts or components are in any danger of being lost, scrapped, stolen, or otherwise scattered.

When the time is right for the family, I will facilitate and assist them in discussions about how, when, and with who to proceed with the engine project.

The only thing I can promise everyone on this HBA forum is that like most of you I want to see the engine succeed, and I will do my part in pushing it toward that outcome. I'll be glad to answer questions that have not been answered in this post already.

Also, although I'm not aware of any dates or plans at this point, it is the family's intent to eventually have a celebration of life and memorial event for family and friends. If and when I hear about that, I will post it here.
My condolences.

Marc Bourget

The impact of this news approached that I experienced with the passing of John Thorp and Ken Brock, both of whom I knew personally. I didn't know Pete as well, but enough to realize he was of similar talent, dedicated to the advancement and benefit of home built aviation enthusiasts as usually ascribed to Thorp and Brock (among others!)

I wish all could of had an opportunity to appreciate his almost relentless intellectual objectivity/honesty.

I'm a better person for having the opportunity to make his acquaintance

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Tragic news, I hate hearing that. That probably explains why I haven’t heard back from him on the Champ spars he was making for me. What a loss for his family and all of us. He’ll be missed.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I also have talked to Pete at Osh several years ago. I always liked the CrackerJack. Seen like a very nice person, and I'm sure he was. A huge loss for a lot of people.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
I visited Pete last month on my way home from seeing a car for sale in the central valley. He showed me everything sitting on a table ready to build up an engine to be placed on a Dyno he had plans of building. We also discussed ways to overmold lead in the crankshaft. I was looking forward to mentoring with him in 2021 to learn airframe stress calculations while also helping on the assembly of a few engines. This was a big blow when BIll told me. Such a smart guy yet also the most humble person youd ever meet at the same time. A huge loss to our community.

Marc

pwood66889

So sad to hear, VB. Your personal loss, and one for the entire "Do It Yourself" aviation community. Please convey my condolences.
Please consider licensing the O-100. Pete has done so much, and gone so far, for it to all be for naught. I have a patent attorney that could be of service should you and Pete's family think it would be a way to go.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
@Victor Bravo, I hope you will convey to Pete's family how well the HBA community thought of him.
Thank goodness, Pete's family does know this. They know there is a decent market for this engine, just as we on HBA know. They also are plenty well educated enough to not sell or license or turn over the project to just any well-meaning person who does not have the combination of skill, experience, financial capacity, and hands-on wherewithal to do it right.